How many 02 sensors in a 2006 Vibe?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
goat69

How many 02 sensors in a 2006 Vibe?

Post by goat69 »

I have the P0420 code that I've been running for over a year now on my 2006 Vibe base engine and it runs great only that on morning starts it smells pretty strong but goes away once warmed up. Would this be a problem with the O2 sensor bank 1 (which my O2 sensor is where the problem is) or is it the CAT? I've been thinking about just replacing all the O2 sensors - are there 2 or 3 of them? And has anyone bought O2 sensors from either ebay or Amazon (a whole lot cheaper than buying at an auto parts store). Thanks for the help y'all.
joatmon

Re: How many 02 sensors in a 2006 Vibe?

Post by joatmon »

There are 2 O2 sensors. The first one is in the exhaust manifold. It is primary used by the computer in setting the air/fuel mix. The second one is under the car behind the cat. The computer uses this to compare to the first one, hoping to find a difference from the first to detect if the cat is actually converting. CEL code P0420 is defined to be that the second 02 sensor isn't different enough from the first, implying the cat isn't converting enough.

Some people have fixed P0420 with replacing O2 sensors. I had to replace the cat to clear mine. Some people have used spark plug anti-foulers to back the second O2 sensor away from the exhaust stream, tricking the computer into thinking the cat is ok ( viewtopic.php?t=35971

I never bought O2 sensors off amazon, wouldn't expect them to be worse than aftermarket from a car parts chain store
jamesmetairie

Post by jamesmetairie »

goat69 , did you fix the codeP0420 cel?

I,m driving a 2005 base Vibe with about 171,000 miles on it. Had the code for about 2 years already. Keep putting off trying to replace 02 sensors and cats,etc.,etc.

any advice will be appreciated.

jamesmetairie ( Jim )
lexicon

Post by lexicon »

Regarding Ebay or Amazon , after purchasing supposed OEM NGK spark plugs from Amazon, and before that, a MAF sensor that only lasted one year, I no longer purchase any electronic parts from Amazon or Ebay. I only purchase thru RockAuto. Looks like there are several variations of the sensor, AWD , GT etc etc. You may want to double check on the exact part number. Denso is the OEM for the sensors. Cheaper is not always the way to go.
2005 VibeAutomaticStockNon AWD125 hp model