2010 Vibe, 1.8L : Oil Pan Replacement Questions

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
2010VibeRed

2010 Vibe, 1.8L : Oil Pan Replacement Questions

Post by 2010VibeRed »

Hi there all,

Don't you love it how it always seems to be the case that you work on one car issue...only to stumble upon another? That's the case here. My Vibe is a 2010, 1.8L engine. I replaced the serpentine belt. And in dong so noticed some fluid leaking. I cleaned-up all the fluid I could on the car's underside, and so I could better see where the liquid was coming from.

It is oil for sure. And it "might" be leaking from a rusted screw/bolt area on the Oil Pan. I searched for "oil pan" in the forum for help as to how to replace, but couldn't find a good thread.

I have a bunched-up towel stuck up in the area where I think the oil is coming from. My intent is to check the towel to see if it is indeed coming from this bolt. I put a photo below.

- Is it a relatively straight-forward job to replace the oil pan with a new one? Or do I just replace the bolts?
- Finding an actual oil pan for the 2010 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L...is challenging. But wouldn't an oil pan from a Toyota Corolla form the same time period work? I searched and found the one below (in the link to Carparts), which seems is the same? I've compared the photo of mine and the one in the link. And the price is pretty good too. I'd have to get a oil pan gasket and new bolts too.

https://www.carparts.com/details/Toyota ... 11304.html
Attachments
20230117_152827 (Medium).jpg
20230117_152827 (Medium).jpg (120.85 KiB) Viewed 775 times
andrewclaus

Re: 2010 Vibe, 1.8L : Oil Pan Replacement Questions

Post by andrewclaus »

Oil leaks can be hard to track down. Be sure to clean well above the pan on the engine block and rule out other sources.

A common oil leak on these engines is from the timing chain tensioner, pretty much right above your towel. There are a few discussions on that on this forum.

If it ends up being from the pan, just replace the gasket and torque the bolts carefully.
2010VibeRed

Post by 2010VibeRed »

Thanks for your reply & help, andrewclaus. I will certainly check above the area to see if anything is coming from the timing chain tensioner. And good to know I can take the pan off and replace the gasket...instead of buying a new pan. Thanks again.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

The replacement pan in the link you provided was only $21. While the rust on yours doesn't look too bad, it might be tempting to just get a new one anyway
I don't know about the 09 engines, but on my 03 1ZZ, there was no gasket, just RTV sealant. I tried to put a gasket it on after I dropped the pan, but tightening the pan bolts just squeezed the gasket out, so I just gooped it up with no gasket. You will be able to tell if your pan used a gasket when you drop the pan.
2010VibeRed

Post by 2010VibeRed »

Thanks joatmon. I am going to order the oil pan and attempt the replacement job. There is a still a leak, so I figure this is the best way to go about it. Thanks for the info on the RTV vs. gasket. I'll see when I drop the pan.

Now, does anyone know what the replacement bolts for the oil pan are? There looks to be 12 of them.

Thanks again.