Original owner - 2007 Vibe

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
kukuxumusu

Original owner - 2007 Vibe

Post by kukuxumusu »

Hi everyone! I'm glad I'm not the only one who shares a deep love for this car model - I feel less alone in this world :)

I'm the proud original owner of a FWD 2007 Vibe with only 170 000 km on the odometer. I don't want to get rid of it, so I maintain it as much as I can. It is so reliable and everythig fits in there! No other car in the market comes close. Plus mine it holds sentimental value: my son accidentally lefy his small hands imprint on the bodypaint 14 years ago when he was 1. (I don't know how that happened, but it's like a tone-on-tone imprint, it's very subtle, but so cute!)

I've changed many major parts in the last year - catalytic convertor a month ago, extention pipe in October, front shocks a year ago - it's almost practically a new car by now!

Hope to keep it another 10 years!
PeteB

Re: Original owner - 2007 Vibe

Post by PeteB »

Me too. I have the Vibe I bought in 2007. It has 110,000 miles on the odometer, which is pretty close to 170,000 km. The engine is still strong and oil tight. The 5-speed manual transmission doesn't like to be shifted into 1st gear unless the car is completely stopped. From what I've read, that probably indicates a transmission rebuild is needed. Or, I try to be real conscientious about stopping completely before I downshift to 1st gear.

The only other problem that continues to get worse with time is rust on the rear hatch / liftgate, under the rear liftglass. It's getting pretty bad, but it's not noticeable until you lift up the liftglass.

If you haven't noticed, the party apparently moved from www.genvibe.com to their Facebook page. I don't have a Facebook account, so I still visit here every once in a while.

Pete (in Michigan)
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

PeteB wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:43 pm The only other problem that continues to get worse with time is rust on the rear hatch / liftgate, under the rear liftglass. It's getting pretty bad, but it's not noticeable until you lift up the liftglass.
Does this rust cause a problem with water or air leakage around the hatch? Post a pic of the corrosion if possible. This will help us determine if OUR Vibes will potentially start to rust in the same area.

PeteB wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:43 pm If you haven't noticed, the party apparently moved from www.genvibe.com to their Facebook page. I don't have a Facebook account, so I still visit here every once in a while. Pete (in Michigan)
Bless your heart for FINALLY posting here with us who prefer the "non drama" approach to Vibe issues & news. It only took you 11+ years :lol: . I too am not on ANY facebook pages anywhere BUT back a few years ago when the GenVibe f-book site was public, I would occasionally read up on the posts. Then apparently someone decided to make it a big secret to the outside world and BLOCK all content unless you sell your soul to the devil and sign up with F-book. No thanks. This original GenVibe site is great just the way it is & has been for almost 23 years! :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
PeteB

Post by PeteB »

Does this rust cause a problem with water or air leakage around the hatch? Not yet. It looks like it's on the surface. For now, anyway. I'll take a picture tomorrow, when it's daylight.
PeteB

Post by PeteB »

Rain water and melted snow settle on the lip under the rear window. A recipe for rust. ( Probably a healthy application of wax could have prevented this, but I neglected to do this.)
Attachments
Vibe rust.jpg
Vibe rust.jpg (245.11 KiB) Viewed 774 times
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

WOW !!! :o That is pretty bad, as you previously mentioned! Makes my windshield frame rust (in another post) seem mild, even though it's leaking through to the inside every time it rains. That's why I asked if water was getting to the inside yet. At least what you have is a real easy fix compared to what I have to deal with (windshield removed, headliner removed, etc. just to access the rusted areas). Fix'er up and post pics of your progress. I should be attacking my rust problem early February and will share results with everyone here.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
finebead

Post by finebead »

I am the original owner of a 2009 Vibe base model, bought May 2008, so its 15 years old soon. It has been pretty trouble free. I did a big maintenance investment at around 75K miles, brakes, struts, alternator was chirping, replaced the engine belt, took the pan off the tranny and replaced the filter, cleaned the little magnet in there.

I was thinking of selling it, but my wife retires in 2 months, she drove it to work daily, 30 miles per day. It is in the garage every night and weekends, so no rust. Since it will be driven a lot less, and I can restrict it to driving around town, now I'm thinking to keep it. We dropped collision, so insurance cost is low. It made a strange gurgling sound when starting the car lately, I found the tranny was a quart low. Added the quart and starting is quiet. It uses a little oil, but as you all know this model always did. I check it once a month, add oil as necessary. I change my own oil and filter, been using Walmart Super Tech Full synthetic oil for the last 50K miles, seems to work fine.

You guys have given me some good advice over the years, thanks to all who participate!
lexicon

Post by lexicon »

To original poster of the thread.
Needing to change a catalytic converter is not typical. You may want to investigate the cause of the damage.
Ive got a Vibe w 150km or 243,000 miles and so far, no issues showing.

https://www.walkerexhaust.com/support/t ... fails.html

There could be mechanical reasons or oil consumption issues etc etc...
Good luck, great vehicle
2005 VibeAutomaticStockNon AWD125 hp model