Pontiac Vibe Key

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Jengland

Pontiac Vibe Key

Post by Jengland »

Hello!

I am purchasing a Vibe 09, the lady who owned it lost her keys! She had a key made and it unlocks the car but won’t start it. She said a shop told her it needs a immobilizer module?

Can anyone help me understand this? Should she be able to go to the dealer and ask them for a new key and remote and have them work with the vehicle?

Any help is great
andrewclaus

Re: Pontiac Vibe Key

Post by andrewclaus »

I've never had to deal with it personally, but a GM dealer will be able to get the key code from the VIN. It'll be expensive, hundreds of dollars. My '07 thankfully doesn't have the feature. When I got dupes made, the key guy had to scan the original for a chip, the first time I've run into that. It was the cheap kind.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Jengland wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:34 pm Hello!
She said a shop told her it needs a immobilizer module?
Where are you located? This is where filling out the profile section when you register helps us other members help YOU out! Anyways if you're in Canada then I'm pretty sure all Vibes HAD the immobilizer. Here in the states, not so much. I've had a couple key blanks cut for spares on my son's 2009 Vibe GT and it both unlucks & starts up the car no problem! Also if you have the factory alarm option then MAYBE you do have the immobilizer. Need more info in order for us to help you out. Oh, BTW ........ welcome to GenVibe :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Its a leap of faith to buy a used car that can't be started, unless its a really good deal

Like most newer cars these days, if the Vibe has the immobilizer system then there would be a transponder in the key, and the car would be programmed to recognize that specific key. That programming is something GM/Toyota never made public, so you'd need to take the car and key to a dealer to get that done, and as andrewclaus said, it can be pricey.

If it is an issue with the immobilizer, then it could be that the new key doesn't have a transponder, or if it does, then the car wasn't programmed to acknowledge that transponder, or it could be a problem with the actual immobilizer system in the car.

There's a little (but likely unhelpful) bit of info on the Vibe immobilizer system in the 2009 Vibe Owner's Manual
jolt

Post by jolt »

Here is info about the immobilizer system. The thing to note here is in red. If all ignition keys are lost, replacement of the transponder key ECU assembly is required. You need to check to see if GM even sales the transponders anymore. If they do then hold on to your wallet as andrewclaus has said. The car will need to be taken/towed to the dealer so the part can be replaced and programed.

The door locks are a different item and programming. The programming for the immobilizer is done with factory programmer and not all GM dealers will have the proper programming updates to do the Vibe. You are going to need to call around. If you look around where the key is inserted into the steering column and see that the outer ring around where the key goes in is made of metal, then the car does not have the key transponder. If the outer ring is plastic, then it most likely has the key transponder and immobilizer system.
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (73.09 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg (232.59 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

jolt wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:57 pm If you look around where the key is inserted into the steering column and see that the outer ring around where the key goes in is made of metal, then the car does not have the key transponder. If the outer ring is plastic, then it most likely has the key transponder and immobilizer system.
Nice info Jolt! :D Never knew this. As mentioned earlier, we've both had NEW key blanks cut for our 2009 Vibe GT's and BOTH of them unlock & start the cars up no problem. Attached is my METAL ignition switch faceplate. You learn something new every day. Thanks! ;)

2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
sarasvibe

Post by sarasvibe »

Earlier this year I started to have intermittent starting issues regarding the key on my 2009 2.4L AWD. I had learned my lesson years ago on my Saturn when the key started to get too worn it wouldn't disengage the security system and wouldn't start.. leaving me stranded at night at the city library waiting for a tow truck :( So when my Vibe started to have these problems decided to spring for a new key... I do have two keys but believe in always having a spare "just in case"...

First went to local Toyota Dealer ( I always try Toyota first as they are wonderful to work with in care and feeding of my Vibe :), but they said because of the programming that was a GM thing... so went to GM dealer... yeah they would do it.. but they would have to order a key--$125-- and take a few days to get here then programming was $225... ouch. Oh yes they didn't need my old key for the programming..they pulled the VIN Number and got everything from that.

Two weeks later I had my new key which works perfect.

Can't believe almost $400 for a key....
Sara
2009 Vibe 2.4L AWD, 193K miles
CA, USA