Might be buying a Vibe

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
viperchief

Might be buying a Vibe

Post by viperchief »

I'm in the market for a car. I have a '98 Ram right now which is great for what I need it for: hauling stuff. But, it sucks as a daily driver. I was working from home so it wasn't a big deal. But, now I'm at a new job back in the office. I also go up to the town the rest of my family is in quite often now that we moved closer and that's a 35 minute drive one way. One way takes about 1/8 of a tank and that's just not doable. It's also hard getting the kids in and out of that truck.

Anyway, I had an Optima a few years ago and thought of getting another one but then decided I don't want the hassle of their hit and miss engines. Thought about getting a Camry because I really like Toyotas. Had a Corolla that finally gave up just shy of 300k. But, I'm tall and and have back and knee issues which makes getting in one of those a lot harder than it used to be.

While talking to a friend because his son just bought a used Camry and finding out where he got it from, he recommended the Vibe. He used to have one and told me they were based on the Corolla with the Corolla engine. That got me interested. Before that Corolla, I had a '99 Prizm that my dad took over and he finally had to get rid of it after my mom threatened him because he had been in a couple accidents and had to get in from the passenger side. :lol: But, that thing ran strong and he hated to part with it.

So, I know those are good bodies and good engines so I looked to see what was around here and found an '05 with about 121k miles and what appears to be an immaculate engine. I'll try to post a picture or something. But if it's not here, it's because I forgot how to post pictures in a forum.

That's the intro. My biggest concern is going to be fit. Love the engine. Love the gas mileage. Love the cargo space. I'm 6'2" and a little overweight with back issues making getting in and out of most compact cars difficult (or anything low to the ground). I also have three young kids that would be in the backseat and are still in boosters (one is in a forward-facing carseat). My hope is that since it's a touch higher, it'll be easy for me to get in and be comfortable for driving (even long-distance), but also easy to get them in and out and for them to be comfortable. I know I'll probably have to put my seat all the way back, so hoping that whoever is behind me is okay on room. If any of y'all have thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

That engine:
1.jpg
1.jpg (136.56 KiB) Viewed 874 times
andrewclaus

Re: Might be buying a Vibe

Post by andrewclaus »

My '07 had 150K miles when I bought it five years ago, and it's been a great car. From my experience, expect new struts, maybe wheel bearings. The most money I've ever put into it was tires, but I do my own mechanic work. At some point, age might start counting as much as mileage, with rubber and plastic getting old, and corrosion on body, suspension, and exhaust. You won't have safety features that are standard in newer cars, of course.
Phoneman

Post by Phoneman »

The only way to know if you will fit is to try it out. I'm 6'0" but thin, and could still fit in mine comfortably if I was 6'4".

The seats are OK but nothing great. I tend to have to adjust myself occasionally on long trips. Otherwise, they are fine.

The driver seat has a height adjustment that helps with getting comfortable and still having a good view.

The Vibe does have a fairly high ride height and is an upright, tall design so that should help with comfort and ingress/egress.

If you fit in the car, the only other issue might be if all three car seats/boosters will physically fit in the back seat.

There are three seatbelts but depending on the size of them they might not fit properly. You should check that out before buying it.

Otherwise, the engine looks really clean (almost too clean) and 121k miles isn't that much for a Vibe if it has been well maintained.
2005 Vibe - 240k
2003 Vibe GT - 117k (totaled)
2003 Vibe GT - 117k
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Welcome to getnvibe!The Vibe is easy to get in and out of, which is really nice. I also a '13 Tacoma and have to plan how to fold myself each time I get into it, but getting in the Vibe is something you just don't have to think about. At 6'2". you will also find that even with the driver's seat all the way back, you will be able to sit comfortably behind it. But its something you definitely want to check out first hand before you buy.

Also great point by phoneman, you want to make sure your three car seats fit in the back before you buy.

That 05 looks spotless, although the yellow writing on the plastic engine cover most likely means that cover came from a junkyard. That in itself is of no concern, better to have a replacement than have a broken or missing one.

If its from a dealer, get some warranty, even if only for a few months or 1K miles. I got burned once, so I recommend hooking up a code reader to the car, if it says not ready, then someone reset things, and there could be some check engine light code waiting to pop up once you drive it a bit. If its not ready, and from a dealer, get in writing that they'll fix any CELs that come up within some amount of time after purchase.

Good luck, and definitely let us know what you decide
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Car looks immaculate ... as previously pointed out "almost TOO clean!" What climate did this Vibe spend it's prior life in? I doubt the midwest or snow belt areas :o Also update profile showing your location. This will help us help you in the event you need parts/service in the future. Good luck and I hope you can keep this ride! Keep us posted ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
SSizler

Post by SSizler »

Welcome to the site.
I am 6'4" 240 pounds and I fit well in a stock vibe.
I fit even better using brackets from extendmyseat.com to gain all the leg room you could want.
That's what I did on my second Vibe. Makes it a great long distance car for me.
I can't comment on car seats, never had one in a Vibe.
That looks ultra clean.
You don't state your location, so how about more photos showing condition?
It is one of the more basic models and does not have ABS, if that is important to you.
Check the trans fluid for color and smell.
If it shifts OK a fluid drain and fill should do it.
The yellow paint just looks like a reminder for owner completed oil changes to me.
If you decide against it let me know via PM.
I am in the market for another clean Vibe.
Hope you join the Vibe community.
They can be great cars. (there are duds too, so be careful)

Jim
2003 Vibe Base / Frosty Mono / Moon & Tunes / Auto / 206k mi / Total Loss 1-23
2006 Vibe AWD / Lava Mono / Loaded w/Leather and Sport Pkg / 150k mi
Many other 2 & 4 wheel toys :mrgreen:
40 years with a wonderful woman / 2 adult kids
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

SSizler wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:53 pm
The yellow paint just looks like a reminder for owner completed oil changes to me.
You are right. Over the years I've used a lot of junkyard parts in various vehicles, and assumed it was junkard tags without actually reading what it said

Looks like the VIbe is https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... =669193271 From one of the pictures it looks to me like the radio lights are burned out, but I could be wrong, I have already been wrong at least once in this thread ;)
viperchief

Post by viperchief »

joatmon wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:13 pm
SSizler wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:53 pm
You are right. Over the years I've used a lot of junkyard parts in various vehicles, and assumed it was junkard tags without actually reading what it said

Looks like the VIbe is https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... =669193271 From one of the pictures it looks to me like the radio lights are burned out, but I could be wrong, I have already been wrong at least once in this thread ;)
Not sure if it's the one, but that listing is now gone. Went to the dealer and the car is no longer listed. Looks like I waited one day too late. Was planning to go tomorrow since it was the first free evening I had (I live about an hour away). If it was what it all appeared, I can't say I'm surprised.

Well done on finding it, though. I'm assuming it was that one and I think it was since it's not on the dealer's site anymore, either (it was about two hours ago).
Phoneman

Post by Phoneman »

Too bad you missed out on the car. Demand for reliable transportation has been exceptionally high the last year and a half so good deals go quick.

I specifically wanted to replace my totaled 2003 GT with another 2003 GT and spent over six months looking for one in the continental US before I settled on one that had some cosmetic issues but was mechanically sound.

Even the base and AWD models are hard to find in good condition with low miles for a reasonable price. But, since these cars are now up to 20 years old, the pool of good condition examples is shrinking quickly. Many have just been drove to death (like my 2005).

If you can find one in any condition locally just to see how well you fit and if you would be comfortable, it would let you know if you want to pursue your search for a Vibe.

I think you would be happy with the convenience, space, fuel mileage, and overall package if you fit in the car comfortably, and if the car seats/booster also fit.

Good luck and happy hunting!
2005 Vibe - 240k
2003 Vibe GT - 117k (totaled)
2003 Vibe GT - 117k
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

viperchief wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:48 pm Not sure if it's the one, but that listing is now gone. Went to the dealer and the car is no longer listed.
That's unfortunate. It was the one at Sanderson in Auburn

Found it using autotrader.com, cars.com is another search site, often but not always the two have the same listings.

You might also keep an eye out for Toyota Matrix, pretty much the same car. I prefer the look of a Vibe, but the visibility out the back of a Matrix is a little better, and there are still Toyota dealers and parts supply chains.