What is the maximum input voltage for the factory amp?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
campnewb

What is the maximum input voltage for the factory amp?

Post by campnewb »

2006 Vibe with Moon & Tunes audio system.
In the process of upgrading the headunit. I plan on using the factory amp. I've read some say you need a Line-out converter, some say you don't. I guess it depends on the headunit's RCA voltage? My new headunit has RCA outputs at 2volts. Is this acceptable for the factory amp?

I also hear some people have issues with popping noise when going straight from Headunit RCA's to the amp. Hopefully I don't get that.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks
chromelampshade

Re: What is the maximum input voltage for the factory amp?

Post by chromelampshade »

Probably would be a better approach to use a LOC, and tap it BEFORE your factory amplifier. Yes, you can use RCA from headunit to say your subwoofer amplifier. But iirc factory headunit and amplifier have poor grounds, hence the turn off pop. If you're just replacing your factory headunit, you shouldn't have to touch any RCA at all. Just use the harness provided and wire it behind your headunit. If you plan on replacing your factory amplifier, or, add a amplifier, you can use the RCA out (from headunit) or add a LOC, but would be pointless in my opinion if your headunit already has RCA outputs. Line output Convertors are mainly used for taking high level speaker voltage (input) and converting to to low level voltage (output) usually 1 - 4 volts.
I wouldnt see any issue if you do have a full low level RCA output at 4 volts, should be just fine. Just invest in a "oscope" to view your audio signal, and find your "clipping point" to not destroy your speakers.

Again like I said if your just replacing factory headunit, you'll just need to wire the harness provided to your factory wires behind the headunit. Only time you'll mess with RCAs is if you plan on adding some amplifier or equalizer, etc. Just make sure your sending a clean signal to your factory amplifier because they'll amplify those signals to your speakers, if signal isnt clean from source headunit, then amplifier is just amplifying a dirty signal, causing premature damage to speakers.

When you do look into adding or replacing amplifiers, "gain" specifically is made to match input voltage. which is normally .5v - 4v. So in your case you would set gain to 2v, etc..

Hope this helps happy holidays!
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD Base "Bass Mobile"
320A Autotech Engineering Alternator
1/0 Oversize Sky High "Big 4"
Optima Yellow Top 55aH AGM
B2 Audio Rage 2500.1D V2 > DDX 10
6th order bandpass series tuned 27/50hz
chromelampshade

Re: What is the maximum input voltage for the factory amp?

Post by chromelampshade »

forgot to mention, in my case i do have a turn off pop. the solution is to replace headunit (alpine ilx 407, or w650) and add dedicated ground.
replace factory amplifier (in my case 4 channel, you could do 5channel) add dedicated ground.
from there source unit will have clean signal, send it off to midrange and subwoofer amplifiers. the upgraded grounds should in theory prevent the turn off pop.
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD Base "Bass Mobile"
320A Autotech Engineering Alternator
1/0 Oversize Sky High "Big 4"
Optima Yellow Top 55aH AGM
B2 Audio Rage 2500.1D V2 > DDX 10
6th order bandpass series tuned 27/50hz