Help to identify sensor on transmission

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
jerry1977

Help to identify sensor on transmission

Post by jerry1977 »

I have found one sensor full of transmission fluid that I cannot identify on my 2005 Vibe! Matter of fact Toyota dealer and NAPA autoparts store as well. This sensor is on right side front on top od the trasmissio n. I am unable to tell if this is some tradnmission output speed sensor or temperature sensor. It has 8 pin square connector and it appears to be mounted by one bolt. It is connecting to ECM module via "Y" cable that has one end plugged to neutral safety switch. Any idea of what this sensor is, etc part #?

Thanks

Jerry
Attachments
20221209_072849.jpg
20221209_072849.jpg (638.42 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
20221209_072830.jpg
20221209_072830.jpg (733.06 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
20221209_072853.jpg
20221209_072853.jpg (615.16 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
andrewclaus

Re: Help to identify sensor on transmission

Post by andrewclaus »

It looks like the connector from the ECM to the transmission solenoids. Not a sensor, I think.
jerry1977

Post by jerry1977 »

Is there a way to get SKU of this connector? Or better to ask if it's replaceable? I think the internal seal is not holding anymore seaping fluid through contracts.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

My wiring diagram is for a 2003 Corolla, so I wouldn't trust part numbers. It shows a 6-terminal plug. But going by part name, look for the "O-ring for transmission wire," similar to this: https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toy ... 21009.html

The SKU for that wire is https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota__/WIR ... 12390.html. You might be able to fix the leak by replacing the O-ring from the outside, if it'll stretch over the connector body. Otherwise you're looking at a tear-down.

Edit: I just realized the leak is internal to the connector, so it's not the O-ring and you'll be looking at tearing into the transmission to replace the wire.
jerry1977

Post by jerry1977 »

I think nits the 6 pin not 8 as I thought so you're correct!
Also the o-ring is not the issue as you stated. So this cable actually connects all solenoids. Any idea if that can be replace by removing just pan on the bottom? I just can't picture how the wiring is done theough the whole transmission. :o
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

On one hand, if it's not leaking significantly, maybe you could get by just disconnecting the cable and cleaning it out every couple of months.

On another hand, you could try taking out that bolt holding it in place and see what comes out when you pull the part. If its just a bunch of wires that disappear into the tranny, not much to do there, except maybe clean the inside and try rtv'ing it. If it is just a bulkhead connector with a cable you can disconnect on the other side, then it wouldn't be that hard to replace, assuming you could figure out what part to buy
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

I'd try what Joatman suggested first, try an RTV repair of the seal. You also have a point, that all the connectors may be accessible from the pan, with a route to pull the wire.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I found a cool PDF at https://f01.justanswer.com/Toyota_Servi ... e+body.pdf that shows the disassembly of the A246E transaxle. (its too big to upload here) I think the A246E is the 4 speed automatic used in 03-08 non-AWD Vibes. The diagram on the first page seems to call it a "Solenoid Wire". Steps 7-14b are what's required to pull the thing, should be able to do it on vehicle by dropping the pan.

I can't find ID on that part anywhere though, even via online toyota part websites. Might need to print out the first page of the PDF and go to Toyota parts counter
jerry1977

Post by jerry1977 »

That is a awesome find Sir!!! Thank you! It appears the leak is not so bad as of now but will try the rtv fix first which I also think of earlier :)
You also mentioned you cannot find that part online. I think andrewclaus posted this link, https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota__/WIR ... 12390.html. That appears to be the correct part or you not think so?
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Looks like the right part to me

andrewclaus, sorry, I missed your link to the part. Nice find!