Windshield Wipers not working

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
andunn

Windshield Wipers not working

Post by andunn »

2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L

I went to use my windshield wiper blades today and they moved a tiny bit and then stopped. It's like they were trying, but couldn't move hardly at all. The fluid squirts out fine onto the windshield,, but the front has no movement from the wipers. Now when trying to turn the front wipers on there is no movement at all. The back wiper works fine along with the fluid coming out of the top like normal.

Any ideas non what the problem may be? Perhaps a loose wires/cable/connection to something, fuse, motor,....? What is the best way of digging in and trying to find the culprit?
andrewclaus

Re: Windshield Wipers not working

Post by andrewclaus »

First check the fuse. If it blew, there may be a mechanical problem with the wiper linkage.

If the fuse is intact, it's either the motor or the control circuit. You can test the latter with a meter by unplugging the connector at the motor, turn the wipers on, and test for voltage to ground at any of the leads. If you see voltage, the motor is probably burned out.
andunn

Post by andunn »

I'm not very familiar with the internal workings. Where can I find the fuse/fuse box and identify which fuse it may be? I'm assuming the rear and front would be on a separate fuse it that's what is was since the rear is working.

If not that, where do I access the area where the connector is with the windshield motor? Unless this is something complicated I'd like to try to swap the motor out if needed by myself versus taking to an auto shop and having them do it.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Seeing how I just got my THREE volume service books out to help out another fellow GenViber (wouldn't get this type of help over on that f%$#book site ... just saying) I went to the washer/wiper section and took a couple snapshots of just what you should need to help troubleshoot your problem. Let me/us know if this helps.

Good luck ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
andunn

Post by andunn »

Thank you. I popped the hood and noticed a cable dangling. I've changed the air filter before and never noticed this. Could this be part of the problem? I can't see anywhere to connect it?
Attachments
Cable.jpg
Cable.jpg (49 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
andunn

Post by andunn »

Another view
Attachments
Cable 2.jpg
Cable 2.jpg (62.96 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

YES !!! That is likely the 5 wire connector (although all the colors don't match up to the wiring diagram exactly) that plugs into the wiper motor. How that would have come loose or apart is a mystery. Anyways you can see on my Vibe where the black loom of wires heads under the cowl and is out of site. That's likely where the motor is. My photo is of the bigger 2.4 L engine PLUS I have a strut bar in the way as part of the GT package.

tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Just dug up an older file photo of my son's Vibe Gt and you can clearly see where that loomed bunch of wires go..... to the wiper motor! It's likely that the motor got changed recently and somebody didn't plug it on tight enough, then you messing around nearby COULD have pulled it out.

andunn

Post by andunn »

Thanks for the info. I had some engine work done at a Toyota dealer and they didn't attach it fully. I stopped in today and they took care of it by removing the windshield molding, plugging it back in, and reattaching the molding. Works as normal now. Thanks for your help everyone!
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Glad its resolved. The dealer better not have charged you to hook the wipers back up
andunn

Post by andunn »

They did not