No air coming from vents

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Bdogzz

No air coming from vents

Post by Bdogzz »

Haven’t had any issues since I bought the car, about a week ago the air for heat and ac wasn’t coming out of the vents at all, it started working again and I left it as is, today it stopped working again, it might start working again idk, but I’d rather fix what’s causing the issue anyway so it doesn’t happen at all. Anyone know what could be wrong to cause no air to come out the vents at all? I’m thinking blower motor? Any help is appreciated thank you!
joatmon

Re: No air coming from vents

Post by joatmon »

welcome to genvibe

If you set the fan speed to the highest level, it should be easy to hear if the blower motor is running. If you turn the key to ON/Run, but don't start it, the fan should still run, and would be easier to hear than if the engine was running.

Folks here have had blower motors go bad, and some have had blower resistors go bad. A tell tale sign of a bad resistor is that the fan only runs on the highest speed. Sometimes, not very often, a bad blower can be started intermittently by smacking it

There's also a relay somewhere, but where depends on what year Vibe you have
Bdogzz

Post by Bdogzz »

I just checked now and I don’t hear anything at all when I put the key on but not the engine and put the fan on the highest speed (or any speed for that matter). So your thoughts would lead to a bad blower motor? Would it be better to replace blower motor and resistor together at the same time? And maybe that’s why the air stopped and then started working again cuz maybe it got smacked around? I have a 2005 vibe and what is the relay and what can I do with it? Should I replace it? Sorry if these are dumb questions I’m not very good with car repairs. Would you be able to tell me where the relay is? Also is the blower motor or resistor the only things that can cause this?

Edit: lol I just took off the glove box and slapped the motor area with a screw driver and it’s working now , definitely the blower motor is the culprit? Should I still replace? And if so should I do resistor too?
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Sounds like at some point you'll need to replace the blower. Even though its working now, it will probably stop again, and maybe next time smacking it won't help. I've never replaced one in a Vibe, don't know what's involved. The Vibe service manual just says disconnect the electrical connector and remove three screws, but I have found too often that what seem like simple steps can take a long time. I've spent hours trying to solve an electrical connector catch, and the three screws might be really hard to access. But I don't know how it is on a Vibe.

I don't think you need to replace the resistor, even if the resistor isn't there, the fan would still work at the highest speed.