Roof rack and \or heavy loads MPG ?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Jackstand347

Roof rack and \or heavy loads MPG ?

Post by Jackstand347 »

Hey everyone, I'm moving about 1000 miles away from my current home in about a month and will be loaded down.

I'm wanting to get an idea on what mpg to expect and was hoping anyone who has used a roof box \ Bag or has driven with heavy loads would describe how there car was loaded, hills or flat terrain. And your normal mpg compared to the MPG you got with a load or box\bag kayak ECT on the roof That would super helpful!
Mark

Re: Roof rack and \or heavy loads MPG ?

Post by Mark »

I've only done it once about 15 years or so ago, with a Thule on a vacation trip in our Dodge minivan. It wasn't too bad, but head and side winds made a very noticeable difference. I kept heavier stuff in the back of the van and used the roof box for lighter but bulkier items. It absolutely impacted fuel mileage but even if I tracked it then I don't remember now. Couple miles/gallon maybe. It was the one and only time we used the Thule, and it's still sitting out in our shed after all these years.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Based on other posts you made, you were looking into a hitch for your '06 Vibe. I'd assume you may also be trailering a small utility trailer? Look to lose 25% fuel economy if towing something. We occasionally tow jet ski's behind the '09 Vibe GT (bigger engine, 2.4L & auto tranny) and the mileage dropped down to around 18-20 mpg. Normal was mid 20's.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

This cost me about 20% drop in mpgs, mostly level, but high speed
Jackstand347

Post by Jackstand347 »

Thanks for the replies y'all, seems close to what I was thinking but hopefully some more people will chime in.
And nope, no trailer. Just a 50x22" aluminum cargo carrier.
I'ma load the roof and carrier with the light stuff
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Jackstand347 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:42 am Thanks for the replies y'all, seems close to what I was thinking but hopefully some more people will chime in.
And nope, no trailer. Just a 50x22" aluminum cargo carrier.
I'ma load the roof and carrier with the light stuff
Great. Whatever you end up doing, post pics of the Vibe loaded down and update us on your mileage. It will further help out the next person doing this!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Jackstand347

Post by Jackstand347 »

I definitely will! I'm surprised there's not a little more info about this yet or maybe there is and I just couldn't find it.

Any one else use a roof rack

I'm looking at the things I'll be putting on the roof and if i can squeeze half it inside I'm thinking it may be cheaper to leave the rest and buy them there. But I'm not sure yet.
Bc I'm also thinking with myself and all the stuff it'll probably be about 800 lbs, and after whatever damage that does the roof rack might not matter.
As in a law of diminishing returns kinda way, 🤔
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Jackstand347 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:52 pm it'll probably be about 800 lbs,
The 2006 owners manual says it has a cargo+passengers weight limit of 1000 lbs so you should be ok

The 06 manual doesn't say anything about roof load maximum, but the 03 manual says its 75 lbs. I expect it can take more than that, but can't say if greatly exceeding that would damage just the roof rack or something more critically structural. For stability's sake, always best to load the heavy stuff low, lighter stuff high
Jackstand347 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:52 pm I'm looking at the things I'll be putting on the roof and if i can squeeze half it inside I'm thinking it may be cheaper to leave the rest and buy them there.
I guess it depends on what you would be leaving behind to buy again.

As for mpgs, I say don't worry about it. stuff on the roof would likely only cost you one extra fill up over the 1000 mile trip, one tank of gas doesn't buy a lot of replacements for stuff left behind