Original Harness

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
ZBDreadz

Original Harness

Post by ZBDreadz »

So I have a question in regards to the original wire harness for a 03 Vibe , The Harness was cut out for a new one to be installed, and the new harness was never installed,I have the both pieces to connect the original harness back to the original wires I'm just not sure as to where the wires connect in the correct places , also it came with a Metra complete kit for installing a new radio so if anyone could maybe supply me with the designated slots would be greatly appreciated.
joatmon

Re: Original Harness

Post by joatmon »

Welcome to genvibe!

Which wire harness are you asking about? If its the radio, then that would be fairly straightforward. If its the engine, well, that's awful. Hope its just the radio

If its the radio, then check out the 04 Toyota Matrix wiring diagrams at https://cardiagn.com/2004-07-toyota-cor ... m-em0350u/ Should be the same as for your 03 Vibe. (wire color "L" = blue) If you load the Overall wiring diagram from that site, the radio wiring is on pages 39 and 40, depending on what audio set up the car came with. I prefer the "System Circuits" PDF, easier to read and wires are shown in their colors, if you use that one, the audio stuff starts at page 140 of the PDF.

If you load that wiring diagram, save to to a local storage. Could come in handy later

If you have a sunroof and tweeters in the door, then you should also have a separate audio amplifier under the front driver seat. If you don't have a sunroof, then no external amplifier.

Unless, of course, the previous owner did some weird stuff with a prior aftermarket audio install.

On the Metra harness, those are potentially different for different aftermarket radios. Are you trying to install an aftermarket radio, or are you trying to install an OEM radio after the factory harness was cut out?
ZBDreadz

Post by ZBDreadz »

Thanks for getting back with me , and it's just the harness in the center of the dash directly behind the radio the bigger one of the two that's plugged in , I'm going to just install an aftermarket radio since it's basically what was supposed to be put in when we had purchased the Vibe , but thanks again and it's nice to know that the Matrix is compatible with parts as well.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

glad its just the radio.

One gotcha to be aware of is that Vibes have powered antennas. There's a wire that should get 12V whenever the radio is on, or when the key is in either acc or on/run. If you don't power the antenna, FM reception is really bad. Some radios have a wire for a power antenna, on an old car I installed a powered whip antenna, would extend when I turned the radio on, retracted when the radio was turned off. A real nifty gizmo, at least back in the 80's