Manual Transmission Issue

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
DaVoinShowerHandel

Manual Transmission Issue

Post by DaVoinShowerHandel »

Hey everyone, first post here (somewhat thankfully, somewhat not lol). I have a 2006 Pontiac Vibe base 5 speed with around 298k on the clock. Didn't check the exact mileage earlier. I'm looking to source some info as I'm not a transmission guy at all.

Today while driving the car it started making a whining noise (sounded like gear whine) and when I slowed down to turn into my driveway the car made a loud "clunk" that could be felt. I pulled up the driveway and backed into my parking spot to check it out, and upon pulling the e-brake I went to put the car in first and shut it off. This is when I noticed the car will no longer go in 1st or 2nd. 3rd-5th and reverse have no issues whatsoever. Does anyone have any ideas as to what this could be? I'm hoping against hope it isn't the synchros, because I've grown attached to the car and don't want to replace it right now but it also isn't worth it to me to replace or rebuild the transmission for what that costs. If anyone has any suggestions it'd be very greatly appreciated!
joatmon

Re: Manual Transmission Issue

Post by joatmon »

Welcome to genvibe

I don't know if its possible for there to be an obstruction or a binding in the shift cables preventing it from going far enough to the left.

I once had an old car with an unsynchronized first gear. To downshift into first you had to double clutch, to match the engine and transmission speeds, a skill I never mastered, but even so, could always shift into first when stopped. But I don't know if bad synchros would keep you from shifting into 1st or 2nd even when stopped
DaVoinShowerHandel

Thanks for the welcome. I didn't bother having someone take it apart to see but the transmission ultimately let it be know that it was ready to retire. She had a good run and the replacement thankfully didn't hurt TOO bad. I really appreciate you taking the time to add input tho, I forgot to update that I replaced it. Here's hoping this one lasts another 300k.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

DaVoinShowerHandel wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:30 pm I forgot to update that I replaced it. Here's hoping this one lasts another 300k.
What did you replace it with? Anothjer 5-speed? New, rebuilt or used? If used .. mileage? Several here went with the more reliable 6-speed. Fill us in . Thanks ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
DaVoinShowerHandel

Rebuilt 5-speed. I couldn't find any 6-speeds local to me or I would've considered it. Like I said I squeaked 290k out of my original 5-speed as well, so if I can muster that type of life out of another (and the engine) then I'll be comfortable sending the whole thing off to the retirement home honestly. It's just been an excellent car that runs too good not to keep around, can't replace it for the price of a transmission for sure.
veggy101

Post by veggy101 »

could be the clutch it sounds like you got gear oil in tranny clutch fluid still full
DaVoinShowerHandel

Didn't even bother to look at the internals but when I drained the transmission and unmated it from the engine to swap on the new one I could hear chunks of metal hitting the pan. So it was definitely internal, I'm just not sure exactly what it ended up being.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Glad you got it solved. And congrats on doing the tranny swap, that is not a trivial task. How much does a rebuilt tranny cost, an arm or that and a leg too? ;)
DaVoinShowerHandel

joatmon wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:24 am Glad you got it solved. And congrats on doing the tranny swap, that is not a trivial task. How much does a rebuilt tranny cost, an arm or that and a leg too? ;)
Thank you, I'm pretty good with a wrench just the inner workings of a transmission may as well be French. Between that and the new timing chain she's driving like when I first got it! Honestly not too outlandish, it was right about $1200. More than the car is probably worth at this point but still cheaper than something new and the rest of the car runs too good to be rid of. Plus it gives the wife a good excuse to get mad at me when I do have to fix something or other on it lol.