Shocks, bushings, Rust

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
ihaveavibe

Shocks, bushings, Rust

Post by ihaveavibe »

Folks,

Got an 03 base Vibe here, about 105k miles, used in the northeast.

Looking at it the other day, trying to find the source of the brake pedal pulsation, I noticed a few things and have a few questions..

How much rust is too much?
I'm seeing quite a bit, some flaking on the control arms (pictured) and also on the rear "axle" that looks like a hollow tube (no pic). Also, as you can see, some on the other metal parts on the underside of the vehicle.

controlarmrust2.jpg
controlarmrust2.jpg (42.21 KiB) Viewed 633 times

Also, I noticed some cracks in the bushing of the control arm. See photo. Would this be cause for replacement or not yet?

controlarmbushing.jpg
controlarmbushing.jpg (405.06 KiB) Viewed 633 times

The shocks strangely ate the baffles and also show some rust. I'm thinking of replacing them, what would be a good option? (I was looking at KYB strut assemblies but they seem to be out of stock).

Strut.jpg
Strut.jpg (361.37 KiB) Viewed 633 times
I didn't notice any play yanking the tire top and bottom, so I'm guessing the bearing is still ok. The runout of the disk seems to be about 4 thousands of an inch, I guess that's enough to pulse the brakes.. didn't check the wheel hub, but I guess that would be next and potentially clean it off. Not sure what else would cause the runout..

Thanks!