Gas tank 2003 Vibe

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Patti24

Gas tank 2003 Vibe

Post by Patti24 »

Hi all! So, if I understand correctly, 2003 Toyota Matrix parts are interchangeable with my 2003 Vibe? What about gas tanks? Are there any other years of Vibes or Matrix’s whose gas tanks will fit a 2003 (Base, 5sp manual)?
Anyone know of any USED ones in Ontario??? Also looking for: rear windshield wiper motor, passenger front door, hood, and/or anyone that PAINTS vehicles on the side anywhere near Midwestern or Southern Ontario. (BTW- black is preferred colour of door/hood!). Any good wreckers that seem to get a lot of Vibes?
Thanks folks! Patti
SlammedNiss

Re: Gas tank 2003 Vibe

Post by SlammedNiss »

Although I'm not 100% positive, probably any gas tank from any 2003-2008 Matrix/Vibe should fit.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Patti24 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:43 am Hi all! So, if I understand correctly, 2003 Toyota Matrix parts are interchangeable with my 2003 Vibe? What about gas tanks? Are there any other years of Vibes or Matrix’s whose gas tanks will fit a 2003 (Base, 5sp manual)?
Anyone know of any USED ones in Ontario??? Also looking for: rear windshield wiper motor, passenger front door, hood, and/or anyone that PAINTS vehicles on the side anywhere near Midwestern or Southern Ontario. (BTW- black is preferred colour of door/hood!). Any good wreckers that seem to get a lot of Vibes?
Thanks folks! Patti
Gas tank from same year/trim vehicle will work. 03-04 should be the same. and 05-08 should be the same. They went from metal to plastic in 05, so they are different...might fit, but fuel pump retaining ring is also different.

You'll also have a hard time finding a used tank. Partially because yours is metal, partially because most junkyards stab holes in them to drain the tank before putting vehicle in the yard.

www.car-part.com can be used to search junkyards near you.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Patti24

Post by Patti24 »

Thanks! At least I can broaden my search a little more for 04’s and the 03-04 Matrix’s.
You did t mention anything about Corollas. Are they compatible too? I’ve seen them mentioned in a few places. If I have to break down and buy a new tank 🤦‍♀️ any suggestions as to the cheapest place to buy it (remembering that I’m in Ontario, Canada… the land where we work to pay taxes.🤦‍♀️ What seems like a great deal all of a sudden becomes ridiculously priced after exchange, shipping, and of course, federal and provincial money grabs at the border. 🤦‍♀️ Not to mention the weeks to months of waiting that is occurring more frequently as they hold it there.🤦‍♀️
Thanks! Patti
Patti24

Post by Patti24 »

SlammedNiss wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:25 pm Although I'm not 100% positive, probably any gas tank from any 2003-2008 Matrix/Vibe should fit.
Even though they switched from metal to plastic in 2005? Did the Matrix’s switch to plastic tanks in 2005 as well?