Complete Respray Due to Failed Clear Coat

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
Reaper19

Complete Respray Due to Failed Clear Coat

Post by Reaper19 »

Has anyone done a complete respray of your Vibe? Mine is a 2009 which I've owned since new. The Florida sun has taken a toll on the paint. The clear coat started to fail on the passenger mirror, back bumper, roof now working it's way down the rest of the car. The hood on these cars seem to be a magnet for rock chips as well. My paint color is Red Hot Metallic on a 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT. The car has 90,932 mile and the interior on the car is like showroom. runs fantastic and I do all my own repairs and maintenance. Checking if anyone has had a complete respray and what the cost may have been or any other ideas.

Thank

Reaper19
zbyers

Re: Complete Respray Due to Failed Clear Coat

Post by zbyers »

Cost will vary drastically depending on the shop you go to. Best bet is to call a few local paint shops. There are shops that can do a cheap respray taping off the windows. Others want to remove the glass and everything. I'd say probably a minimum of $1000-1500 these days for the cheap version.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Reaper19

Post by Reaper19 »

Thank you. I'll start calling around and get a few estimates, along with reviewing what steps each will take. I'll post what I find out.

Reaper19
jolt

Post by jolt »

Cost to paint do vary, as any car repair does. Coastal areas seem to higher cost then the middle of the country. Cost vary also with how well you want it painted. The type of job, like a used car lot paint job is less then a new car paint job.

Another option is to do a wrap on the car. This link may give you some ideas: https://www.rvinyl.com/cost-to-wrap-car
https://www.supermoney.com/how-much-doe ... rap-a-car/

https://insuredandmore.com/how-much-doe ... aint-a-car
Reaper19

Post by Reaper19 »

Great information Jolt! Those links are excellent!

I though about repainting, I've done a few cars before, but the process to prepare, repair, prime and paint is lengthy to get a decent paint job, not sure I want to go that route for a DIY paint job again. It also means a lot of garage preparation and clean up. Respray locally depends as you mentioned on the quality of the finished paint job.

I have also been researching wrapping my Vibe, I had an estimate of $3,500 by a local shop and decided to started researching the DIY approach. I have watched a couple dozen videos and trying to decide the best approach to repair all the rock chips on the front of the car first, then tackle sanding down the roof and other panels to make a smooth transition from the faded and chipped clear coat to the basecoat. I do like the idea that I can do a panel at a time to take my time on each as well as change it out on my own. Looks like the hood and roof are the easiest places to start.

I do my own repairs and worked on cars since I was 8 years old with my dad, so I always try to tackle any repair whether mechanical or cosmetic myself, but wanted to see what the professionals would want for $$$$ on a respray or wrap. A complete DIY wrap may be the way I end up going. Not sure if I want to stay with Red again, go with all silver or grey, a two tone with a black roof and silver or grey car, or red, silver or grey body with a black roof and possibly hood and mirrors. Or some combination of the above. Still checking out the forum, videos and images for ideas.

I also have an 81 Corvette that I purchased in 2014 which I completely mechanically rebuilt in my garage from nose to rear, had the motor rebuilt with a bigger cam, pistons and upgrades, tranny and rear end done, all vacuum lines, some about half of the electrical and many other parts replaced, but still all OEM mostly and deciding if it's time now to sell it and redo the Vibe which is our everyday driver. That would also give me back a space for the Vibe in the garage again to keep it out of the Sun and elements. :D