Longer cranking/starting

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
05vibinbase

Longer cranking/starting

Post by 05vibinbase »

Battery voltage looks good on and off.
New plugs.

Takes longer to start than I would like or what I think it should. I can’t just flick the key over but I do have to hold it for a few seconds and get 3-4 turnovers in for it to fire.

Maybe I’m being to pick with a almost 20 year old car.
Mark

Re: Longer cranking/starting

Post by Mark »

My 04 can sometimes take a few seconds of cranking before it starts, but that's mainly when it's already warm. Like when running errands and it's only sat for a few minutes, and also when it's well below 0º in the morning. Normal cold starts in the morning and after work are no more than 1-2 seconds. Almost instantly after I turn to start.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

Have you done basic tune-up stuff? Check plugs, air filter, PCV valve, clean injectors, MAF sensor and throttle body?
jolt

Post by jolt »

Does this happen more often the longer the car sits, like first thing in the morning as the car sat over night? If yes, then it could be the fuel pressure regulator is going bad and/or leaking. The motor has to crank for a while until fuel pressure builds up to start the engine. The Vibe fuel pump does not run until it see an RPM signal from the engine (this is for safety if in a accident). You may want to have a fuel pressure leak down test done over night. Loss of fuel pressure on the fuel rail can also be caused by a leaky fuel injector too.
05vibinbase

Post by 05vibinbase »

andrewclaus wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:12 am Have you done basic tune-up stuff? Check plugs, air filter, PCV valve, clean injectors, MAF sensor and throttle body?
I’ve done plugs and filter. Haven’t considered PCV, MAF as I don’t like to just replace parts.

I have cleaned the throttle body as best I could with it on the engine.

Are these fuel injectors easily cleaned?
05vibinbase

Post by 05vibinbase »

jolt wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:54 am Does this happen more often the longer the car sits, like first thing in the morning as the car sat over night? If yes, then it could be the fuel pressure regulator is going bad and/or leaking. The motor has to crank for a while until fuel pressure builds up to start the engine. The Vibe fuel pump does not run until it see an RPM signal from the engine (this is for safety if in a accident). You may want to have a fuel pressure leak down test done over night. Loss of fuel pressure on the fuel rail can also be caused by a leaky fuel injector too.

I was wondering why I never heard the fuel pump when I turn key to on position but to answer your question, it doesn’t seem to matter how long it has sat. It’s always a few more cranks than what I would expect.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

05vibinbase wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:50 amI’ve done plugs and filter. Haven’t considered PCV, MAF as I don’t like to just replace parts.

I have cleaned the throttle body as best I could with it on the engine.

Are these fuel injectors easily cleaned?
Just run a can of commercial fuel system cleaner through the gas tank.

Don't replace the MAF, but clean it. Again, there is a commercial spray cleaner just for those. Cleaning mine resulted in a smoother idle and slightly better economy. The PCV valve is easily checked on the car, replace only if needed, and it's probably not an issue here, just a basic tune-up thing. I also clean the TB on the car, with denatured alcohol and a good cloth.

I don't know if cleaning might solve a leaking injector problem, but it wouldn't hurt to try. Unfortunately this car doesn't have a Schrader valve pressure test port. See the last post in this thread for more information: viewtopic.php?t=47766