Is my 5 MT fried?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
madoxx

Is my 5 MT fried?

Post by madoxx »

I'm having some transmission issue on my 2006 Vibe 5 speed manual. It has 340,000km.

It made a nasty screeching sound while climbing a big hill in 4th on the highway. There is intermittent noise in all forward gears including 4th. Noise includes gear whine and some loud and obnoxious screeching sounds.

Depending on how I push and release the gas pedal the gear whine and screeching goes away and the car becomes silent... almost like the loading and unloading of the gears realigns them. The noises are present while the drivetrain is under load - either accelerating or decelerating while in gear.

There is no noise whatsoever in neutral, whether the vehicle is stopped or moving.

I replaced the tranny fluid earlier this year with Amsoil GL4 gear oil and I drained it to see what was inside. It looks like green plastic bits as well as some metal shavings and plenty of sparkly bits floating in suspension.

Does anyone have a good idea of what went wrong with my tranny?

IMG_7070 (1).jpeg
IMG_7070 (1).jpeg (227.9 KiB) Viewed 610 times
IMG_7075 (1).jpeg
IMG_7075 (1).jpeg (485 KiB) Viewed 610 times
IMG_7068 (1).jpeg
IMG_7068 (1).jpeg (236.07 KiB) Viewed 610 times