Looking at a 06 VGT

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
zze86

Looking at a 06 VGT

Post by zze86 »

I'm surprised there isn't a FAQ explaining the ModelYear/generational differences in here.

Anyways, I'm going to be looking at a manual 06 Vibe GT this weekend as a possible vehicle for my son. I'm a Toyota guy through and through and know this is basically a Toyota Matrix, however I really prefer the styling of the Vibe. I'm also a bit familiar with this vehicle in that I had a '00 Celica GTS and my cousin also had a Matrix XRS back in the day. IIRC, Toyota switched the 2zzge to DBW in 2005. Is this true in the VGT? Did they come with VSA also then?

I know for the most part the Matrix and VGT were super reliable but I have to ask, did the Pontiac version have any big issues that I should be aware of? The 2zzge lift bolts were a problem on the newer 2zzges, was the problem fixed by 2006?

Finally, a question on tuning the vehicle. I recall the shifter feel really sucked in the celica and even more so in the Matrix. Spongy, a bit on the vague side with poor shift gate feel. Are there aftermarket options to improve shifter feel?

Thanks in advance! And hopefully, this VGT pans out.