Replacement halfshaft - transmission?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Brian2003Vibe5speed

Replacement halfshaft - transmission?

Post by Brian2003Vibe5speed »

New Member Posting

Executive Summary:

What's the correct part number - and what's a good source - for the right front halfshaft on a front wheel drive 2003 Vibe with 5 speed manual?

What are the odds that I've also got a transmission issue?

How can I give up on a car with only 334xxx miles on it? :D

The Story:

The problem: early last winter an independent shop replaced the right front halfshaft on my 2003 Vibe - front wheel drive, 5 speed manual. Why replace it? I was hearing a road-speed related noise when the car was in gear and accelerating (even gently). I drained and replaced the transmission fluid - no change in the sound. I also didn't see metallic glints in the fluid. I felt a little play in the passenger side halfshaft, but none in the driver side. So I asked the shop to replace the passenger halfshaft. The replacement halfshaft wasn't as long as the original - hmm.

Drove the car home (50 miles) and drove it a little more. Sound was lessened, but I still heard something. I parked the car for the winter. This spring started it, backed up with steering fully cranked over - and the passenger halfshaft popped out. THe sound was -- imagine a gorilla pounding under the front of the car with a baseball bat. The car couldn't move under its own power. Towed to the repair shop - they installed another replacement - which popped out as soon as they cranked the wheels over.

The parts supplier - and the folks who provide the halfshaft to the supplier - claim they are providing the correct part. But clearly they aren't.
So does anyone know the part number - and a source - that will provide the proper length halfshaft?

Second question. I didn't know about this forum until a few days ago. What a cool resource! I see mention of problems with the 5 speed manual transmissions. Mine has been fine to this point - maybe thanks to lots of highway miles and generally easy driving habits (still the original clutch!) What are the odds that the transmission is on its way out? Remember that I was hearing something before this saga began - there may have been a halfshaft issue, but the transmission too may have issues.

Thanks for your thoughts.
joatmon

Re: Replacement halfshaft - transmission?

Post by joatmon »

welcome to genvibe!

It seems like the new part should be as long as the original part. A shorter one, anchored at the wheel, would likely get yanked out of the transmission. I don't know what GM part numbers for the axles are, but by now it seems likely GM doesn't stock them anymore. There is a PDF here at http://www.genvibe.com/images/misc/manu ... atalog.pdf that lists Toyota part numbers for a 2003 Matrix, and the axles should be the same as for your Vibe. The axles are listed on page 5 of the PDF (page 1177) Looks like there are different parts for ABS or non-ABS, but I don't know what the differences are.

I had issues with my 03 5 speed, but not everyone did. You've made it a third of a million miles so far, so I wouldn't be inclined to group yours with those of us that had early bearing failures
Brian2003Vibe5speed

Re: Replacement halfshaft - transmission?

Post by Brian2003Vibe5speed »

joatman

Thanks so much! You're right that the shorter replacements part ways with the transmission. I believe they part ways just far enough that the transmission can beat out a rhythm on the halfshaft splines.

I'll share this info with the repair folks -

Brian - who refers to the Vibe as "just broken in"