New owner - rear bumper paint question

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
Jsizzle23

New owner - rear bumper paint question

Post by Jsizzle23 »

Hi everyone,
I am the new owner of a 2004 vibe in bright red. I’m really glad I found this forum as there seem to be a lot of helpful hints.

I apologize is this has been asked before (I didn’t see it, but could have missed it).

I was wondering if there were any tips for restoring or repainting (at home) the rear plastic bumper cover. Ours is very oxidized and faded compared to the rest of the car.

I was thinking a light sand and touch up spray might help.
Would it be better to sand, prime and repaint and then clear coat at home?

I saw paint codes, but wanted to see if anyone had suggestions about the best place to currently get color matched paint in a rattle can.

Thanks in advance for your time!
jolt

Re: New owner - rear bumper paint question

Post by jolt »

The paint used for bumper covers have a flex additive added to the paint. Without the additive, the paint will just flake off when the cover flexes. Because these get painted separately from the car body, it causes a slight difference in the paint and rarely does the paint match perfectly.

I do not know of anyone making spray cans that have the flex additive for bumper colors. I am not saying that it does not exist, it is I have not seen it. A body shop would be required to paint the cover with the flex additive in the paint.

You can try these guys out: https://www.automotivetouchup.com/
I have bought paint from them years ago for the Vibe to touch up paint chips. They can also load spray cans with the paint of your choice. I just seen they have this; 12 oz Aerosol Plastic Parts Adhesion Promoter, which may help.
Jsizzle23

Re: New owner - rear bumper paint question

Post by Jsizzle23 »

Thanks for all of the information! I really appreciate it!