New Member - Spark Plugs question

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
ecolive

New Member - Spark Plugs question

Post by ecolive »

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and also the original owner of a 2003 Vibe, acquired new in Dec 2002. The vehicle has in July 2022 only 51,500 miles (not a typo, very low mileage).

I had the car maintained with regular oil changes, etc. Transmission fluid was flushed and replaced at 50,000 miles.

I know the iridium spark plugs that were originally installed by the factory are supposed to be replaced around 120K miles, but I am wondering whether 19.5 years to run 51K miles would be enough to trigger a spark plug change well in advance of the 120K miles.

I got a set of NGK # 4996 -- Laser Iridium Spark Plugs -- IFR5T11 --4 PCS NEW

Also, I am wondering whether anyone had problems when removing the original spark plugs, I do not want to damage the block threads while removing them. Has anyone replaced them after many years?

Any recommendations on the install torque? I am planning to use a bit of anti-seize grease on the threads, possible requiring 20% torque reduction.

Thanks in advance.
Mark

Re: New Member - Spark Plugs question

Post by Mark »

It would be really easy to pull a plug and check it, but on the other hand since you already have the new ones on hand you might as well put them in. I have no idea how hard they'll be to get out, make sure to remove them when the engine is cold. I use a 5/8" spark plug socket with 9" extension, makes getting the plugs in and out a lot easier. The torque setting I have is 18-21.6ft/lb, so I just go with 20.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
ecolive

Post by ecolive »

Thanks
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

When I did my Vibe's plugs at 150,000 miles, I was sweating the removal of each one, hoping the ceramic wouldn't snap. You'd think it was easy, but one wrong turn or a snap can make for a very bad day. They turned like a rusty bolt on a seaside fence. I did not use any graphite when putting the new ones in as I could not think of a scenario where I would be keeping the car for another 100,000+ miles. Torque? What is this torque? I've been hand tightening and quarter turn after seating my plugs since the 60's and have yet to have one launch through a chamber. Good luck with your job. I think any car appreciates new plugs no matter how many miles are on them.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

We haven't really seen a lot of spark plug removal drama over the years, best that I can recall.

I changed the original plugs after 12 years and they didn't put up much of a fight. That said, plenty of unsettling creaks were heard while backing the plugs out. I put a tiny amount of anti-sieze on them and torqued to just below factory specs. I changed them out again a few months ago and they came out just fine. This time I used a bit more anti-seize and went with the 20% less torque than spec.

I suppose one option if you're really worried might be to throw some top engine cleaner down into the spark plug tubes ala Ford 3-valve like Pat Goss mentioned years ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLe89eW6lM8
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image