What's the max milage you'd buy a Vibe at?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Jackstand347

What's the max milage you'd buy a Vibe at?

Post by Jackstand347 »

Hey everyone! I'm looking at an 03 vibe with 175,000 miles on it. My goal was to find one with under 150k but I am having a hard time finding any near by(within 3 hours) from me. Tbh I haven't found many at all and the ones I've come across are around 180-200k. I'm stuck on the 03-08 model BTW :D

Thoughts?
ColonelPanic

Re: What's the max milage you'd buy a Vibe at?

Post by ColonelPanic »

Anything below the 299,999 mark where the odometer stops working. :D

At this point, there probably isn't a whole lot of difference between a 150k and a 200k Vibe. How well (or not) the car was treated over the years would be more of a concern than mileage for me.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

My sweet spot for a used car purchase is 10 years old and 150K miles. I always get ten more years out of a car like that. I'm almost five years into my '07 Vibe, and on track for five more easily.

I wouldn't be looking for a Vibe if I had to replace it, maybe a ten year-old FWD RAV4.

At some point, years start to matter as much as mileage. Parts become harder to find, plastic and rubber parts start to age out and break. My '98 Outback is getting to that point.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

After reading viewtopic.php?t=48111 my advice is to not buy a car that old without at least some sort of powertrain warranty, if only for a month or three, which tends to eliminate most private sellers.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

1. Japanese Engine: Always buy the newest vehicle possible for the amount of money you can spend. Honda engines: mileage simply doesn't matter up to 300,000. Toyota: be selective and look for the 2.5 liter instead of the 2.4. Subaru: definitely do your research (cars.com/Consumer Reports) first. Nissan and Mitsubishi: run away. Definitely cast your net wider than just the Vibe.
2. Always buy from an owner and not a dealer. Owners should have repair records and quick answers to your tough questions regarding the car's history. The average Joe on the street is untrained at lying and is very poor at it; dealers are trained experts.
Transylvania

Post by Transylvania »

I purchased my 2010 2.4l Vibe 4 years ago with 160,000 miles. Now it has 257k. Nothing but regular maintenance. Yes, it does burn copious amount of oil, but that's just my luck.

I'd have no issues purchasing the same with 175k.