Engine noise update/question

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Rexter

Engine noise update/question

Post by Rexter »

Long story:

I previously posted about a whine at startup that begins after oil pressure builds, and goes away as soon as the engine starts to warm up. That has changed.

On Wednesday, I passed a couple of trucks. Did not over-rev the engine. About a mile after passing them, I noticed the oil light was flickering. I didn’t notice anything wrong (smoke,noise). I drive into the next town to check out the issue. Oil and coolant levels were fine. Oil is 2 weeks old. Re-start the car, and no oil light or anything else. Drive another 150 miles for the day and nothing going on.

Start the day Tuesday with the whine at start-up. Drive 100+ miles with no issues. I notice around noon that the oil light starts to flicker, and then goes steady at idle. I also notice that when I let off the throttle, I hear what sounds like pennies in a can being rattled. This goes away when the trans releases the gear when coasting. If I slip into neutral when slowing down, it doesn’t make noise. If I downshift and do not have engine braking, no noise. Being 200 miles away and after 5, I had to drive back to town. Spent the night in a hotel due to plumbing issues at home.

At start-up this morning to go meet the plumber, it didn’t whine. It screeched like cats in a bag having a fight. As soon as pressure built, that stopped. I drove about 10 minutes with no light or noises at all.

Thought? With the noise at back pressure on the timing gear at throttle release, maybe the vvt solenoid/gear assembly?

It still doesn’t smoke/tick/knock, so I don’t think it’s losing oil pressure.