Hi! Recent new owner, small work i plan doing and welcome to the club

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
MarieVibe

Hi! Recent new owner, small work i plan doing and welcome to the club

Post by MarieVibe »

Hi everyone!

I recently bought an 2008 pontiac vibe in stealth color.

Planning on doing some small maintenance on it.

Change cabin and engine filters, change de strap, oil change. Check the spark plugs, fix the wipers.

The engine itself is in super shape. Previous owners almost yearly did there oil treatment( i live in Montreal Quebec, we get snow,salt,mud and a gazillion potholes ).

Anyways, i tried the youtube trick of washing the headlight with toothpaste with minimal succes. Will try a few other times. One light came out ok-ish.

So here is my littlr quesrion, let say i want to buy used headlights. I know the vibe is the same as a toyota matrix.

Which is basically a toyota corolla hatchback.

Are there any other compatible models headlights for a pontiac vibe 2008?

I am looking to replace the old things because they are quite foggy.
The light bulb are fine, it is the other self that are damage.

Anyways...
I used to be in love the the honda fit....until i learned better!

The vibe is more confortablr even do its not has sporty driving to the fit to me.

But since i already work 7-8 hours driving in a car, i want to be seated comfortably once i get inyo mine.

Really glad i found this group!

Can't wait to read and read all of your stories!!

Marie
Caretaker

Re: Hi! Recent new owner, small work i plan doing and welcome to the club

Post by Caretaker »

I'm not sure what headlight cleaning companies are available to you but here in the US, Sam's Club does a very impressive job for very little money. I believe the service is also offered at Walmart Auto Centers. We also have mobile services which perform the same headlight cleaning function for very little money. All give a impressive warranty as well. For the do it yourselfer, I would see if the Rustoleum Wipe New product is available in your stores. It works impressively. It won't last forever, but the chemical on the wipe pads is industrial strength and does the job well. It is only $10 at any Walmart. I would try any of those avenues before wasting money on new headlamps.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rust-Oleum-A ... e/52550774
I'm glad you are enjoying the Vibe. Yes, if the car's engine was serviced regularly, the car (minus Toyota's perpetual oil consumption issues) should provide a good long life. Regarding the Fit, remember that the GD and GE Fits are the best vehicles ever made. Yes they are for short people but there has never been a car that can handle abuse from neglectful owners; simply none better. The VVTi engines and quality of components that Honda's parts component companies put into those cars last two lifetimes compared to other vehicles. The driving and handling dynamics is like driving a go-cart every day; fun and spirited. They are however, made for short people and short range driving. I'd much rather drive on the interstate with my Vibe.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

The headlights are pretty limited on models they support. That said, most places will cross-reference, so you're good there.

The main problem is getting the buggers OUT. Expect to put a lot of time into it - I think I'd rather change the valve cover gasket than a headlight.

Congratulations on the purchase, however. With reasonably care, you'll get a lot of use out of the car.

Honda Fit -almost bought one instead of this 07 Matrix, but the way the front seats/steering are dissuaded me. I have short legs and a long torso, and fit in the car fine, but I could see that staying in it a lot wouldn't help me much.
MarieVibe

Post by MarieVibe »

Caretaker wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:53 am I'm not sure what headlight cleaning companies are available to you but here in the US, Sam's Club does a very impressive job for very little money. I believe the service is also offered at Walmart Auto Centers. We also have mobile services which perform the same headlight cleaning function for very little money. All give a impressive warranty as well. For the do it yourselfer, I would see if the Rustoleum Wipe New product is available in your stores. It works impressively. It won't last forever, but the chemical on the wipe pads is industrial strength and does the job well. It is only $10 at any Walmart. I would try any of those avenues before wasting money on new headlamps.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rust-Oleum-A ... e/52550774
I'm glad you are enjoying the Vibe. Yes, if the car's engine was serviced regularly, the car (minus Toyota's perpetual oil consumption issues) should provide a good long life. Regarding the Fit, remember that the GD and GE Fits are the best vehicles ever made. Yes they are for short people but there has never been a car that can handle abuse from neglectful owners; simply none better. The VVTi engines and quality of components that Honda's parts component companies put into those cars last two lifetimes compared to other vehicles. The driving and handling dynamics is like driving a go-cart every day; fun and spirited. They are however, made for short people and short range driving. I'd much rather drive on the interstate with my Vibe.

Well i am short 🙃 and yes the fit was more sporty driving but i enjoy comfy driving as i drive a prius C for work daily around 7 hours a day.

Also, because of canadian winters, all the used Hondas i looked had, had bad or severe rust issues. I know thwyre engine is good. But paint job is bad on honda.There is even a lawsuit starting on this regards.

Thanx for the reply
MarieVibe

Post by MarieVibe »

Thank you!

Rust was one of the main reason i did not go for the fit. Or in the price range i was looking the car where not taken car of proprely. I find in general toyota owners take more cafe of their cars than honda. Yes i know we have a pontiac... but it is a disguised toyota corolla hatchback if you ask me.😆

Have a good one.

And as for the headlight. More toothpaste treament seems to do the trick and i forgot i had brushes for my drill.Will give that a go.