AC Drain Clogged

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
mimnwa

AC Drain Clogged

Post by mimnwa »

Hello All! This is my first post, so apologies if it is not posted in the correct section of the forum!

I believe my AC drain is clogged, and was wondering if anyone would have some insight/instructions/videos on how to unclog it (or other advice if the problem is not a clog). The drips come from a small black box under the glove compartment. It only leaks when the AC is/has been on, and flows mostly heavily when going around a left curve (a squeaking/whishing sound also occurs). The white tube under the floorboard carpet seems to be intact.

Here is an image that shows the location of the leak: https://imgur.com/a/mGrp5w9

Thank you! :)
joatmon

Re: AC Drain Clogged

Post by joatmon »

Welcome to genvibe!

Usually the cause of water leaking from the AC onto the floor is someone kicked loose the drain tube from the box, but that doesn't sound like your car. Could be the drain clogged inside. If it is you can't really tell by just pulling the cabin air filter, although if that is deteriorated or missing, it might allow stuff to get down and clog the drain. You could try blowing the drain line clear from underneath, but if its a clog then whatever is clogging it will still be in there, waiting to clog again. Can't remember the exact layout, but you can probably get to look and clean it out from the inside by pulling the blower motor
Bookworm

Re: AC Drain Clogged

Post by Bookworm »

Here in houston, if it stays dry enough for two or three days, you can end up with a muddauber wasp plugging up the end of the tube. The only way to check is to get under the engine and try to run a thin wire into the drain.