Driveshaft Carrier bearing

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
Vtunimog01

Driveshaft Carrier bearing

Post by Vtunimog01 »

From what I read you cannot really replace the carrier bearing.

My son’s gf has a 2009 Vibe AWD, when she was backing up the day she said she felt a clunk and the car acted like the parking brake was on. We crawled underneath the car and noticed the drive shaft was not turning the car was in the middle of our road and on a steep hill so we sprayed the carrier bearing with silicone and got it to free up enough to pull back into your driveway. I jacked the car up and examine the driveshaft and Ujoints. The bearing is oddly rusted and definitely looks like the seals have failed. The Ujoints look ok with no play. I figured it was a pretty easy carrier replacement judging by the flex plate . Reading online I found that the carrier bearing cannot be replaced ? Or if you do it is prone to failure again.

Considering that a new OEM driveshaft is about $1000 or so (not feasible for a 13 year old car in Northern New England) and the used drive shafts seem to be very high mileage. Is this the only option and does anyone have a good source for decent used Vibe Driveshaft assemblies?

She’s a struggling college student so I am trying not give the girl a heart attack with a major repair bill.

Thanks in advance for any advice you all can give.
andrewclaus

Re: Driveshaft Carrier bearing

Post by andrewclaus »

Here's one on eBay for half cost, if available: https://www.ebay.com/itm/174407899419