Paint peel fix?

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
professorjedi

Paint peel fix?

Post by professorjedi »

Hey all,

I've been living in denial about this problem. Is there anything I can do to prevent the peeling getting worse? Or is the only thing I can do is get the hood repainted?

Thanks!

Mike

2010 2.4L AWD almost 100K miles
jolt

Re: Paint peel fix?

Post by jolt »

It looks like the clear coat is peeling off the car. To prevent further damage, you can try to clean the area with some alcohol and spray over it with auto touch up clear paint from a car parts store. This will at least prevent further damage and may bring back the color in that spot. To try to get the over sprayed clear paint back level, you would need to wet block sand this after the clear has dried. This is with 2000 grit and then 3000 grit wet sanding paper, and then compound the area, and then polish the area. That will seal it and make it look good enough depending on how good you are doing wet sanding with a block. If you sand to much, you can cause more damage so be very careful. If you do not like the looks after you are done then a body shop will most likely have to repaint it.

If you leave it and do nothing, it will only get worse.
ColonelPanic

Re: Paint peel fix?

Post by ColonelPanic »

jolt wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:02 am If you leave it and do nothing, it will only get worse.
Can confirm. :lol:
lol_paint.jpg
lol_paint.jpg (63.86 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
This all started with a small area of peeling clearcoat on the center of the hood on the cowl side circa 2015. The failed area kept expanding and the base coat began cracking and flaking off.

You have a small enough area that it might be worth a DIY attempt before it looks like the bad example above. Just bear in mind once that clear starts to fail, it's a slippery slope. Failure at many other areas is right around the corner.

It's fine though, I think the kids these days call this "patina." Or something.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image