Belt Tensioner

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Caretaker

Belt Tensioner

Post by Caretaker »

Is there a manually adjustable tensioner for the 2nd generation 1.8 Corolla engine? I'm getting some belt squeal when the engine is cool and when first driving off.
joatmon

Re: Belt Tensioner

Post by joatmon »

I got nothing but sympathy on this one. I hate it when a car's belt squeals. Not so much because there's something amiss with the car, but its embarrassing. Seems to only ever happen when there's lots of people around. Kinda like slipping on the ice in the winter (something you don't have to deal with since you moved) My first thought isn't "Did I hurt myself?" its "Did anyone see me do that?"

Assuming you don't need a new belt, maybe a pulley is a little glazed, and if you can figure out which one, sand it a bit
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I know one of my mechanics said that some cars do not have a belt tensioner. If the belt noise is just a nuisance item and can't be controlled by a lubricant spray, my neighbors will have to deal with it for the one second it occasionally makes the noise. Why? I hear we are weeks away from the new HRV release. Should I be able to find one to sit in and like it, I'll order a hybrid version and wait for delivery. That's what happened in 2002 with Vibe #1. I ordered the AWD from NUMMI and received one of the first off the line.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

the noise continues, only first thing in the morning and when accelerating backward and especially forward; then the noise stops until the next morning. Even though I have had the belt replaced before and since there doesn't seem to be a tensioner, can I assume that the belt has somehow stretched and I need a new one again? I have not experienced any power drain (ie: the air conditioner/blower slows down; or the lights dim). The alternator is a remanufactured Chinese job but I don't see how the squealing would be coming from the alternator. Again, when I asked my mechanic to lube the pulleys/spindles he said that isn't done/recommended. Further thoughts?
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

Caretaker, from what I understand our 10th generation does not have a spring-loaded automatic serpentine belt tensioner like the previous generation. It is adjusted by a long bolt in a bracket attached to the alternator. Since you have a replacement alternator, chances are it was not adjusted correctly or some of the bolts are not tightened. Here is a tutorial I found for the 10th generation 2zr-fe:
https://www.paulstravelpictures.com/200 ... ent-Guide/

..."Unlike our 2005 Corolla which has a spring loaded automatic tensioner arm with the "fake bolt" for releasing the tension, the newer 09-13, 2014 & 2015 models use a long bolt in a bracket attached to the alternator for tensioning the belt"...

Hope this helps.

EDIT: per instructions, before turning the 12mm tensioner adjustment bolt, you need to loosen the 14mm bottom bolt and the 12mm tensioner bracket bolt. Instructions are really thorough and should be easy. Check the belt by twisting at the middle of the longest run. Should be able to turn about 90 degrees with effort.
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.
jolt

Post by jolt »

The noise could be coming from the over run pulley on the alternator. See for brief details;

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 94&pt=2448

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 94&pt=2448

The pulley is not just a pulley on the alternator on cars. These wear out and can cause noise under alternator load. You can find more info about over run pulley by doing s on-line search.

To cover up the problem, try putting some baby power on the belt and then start engine. Belt and pulley's must be free and clean of any belt lube or belt dressing if applied. Pulley's and belt can be cleaned with spray brake cleaner and a wire brush if needed. If noise is still there then it could very well be the over run pulley. If noise is gone for a while after the baby power, then belt, pulley grooves, or tension issue. The reason why I said "cover up the problem" is that the baby power will wash off and wear off so it is not a fix to a belt noise problem. It will make the noise go away for a while and can help diagnose the problem.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Thank you both. I am in the middle of two 3 hour drives and have not heard one noise during the first leg. I greatly appreciate both of your posts and will read the links with great interest. Cheers.
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

Caretaker wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:46 pm Thank you both. I am in the middle of two 3 hour drives and have not heard one noise during the first leg. I greatly appreciate both of your posts and will read the links with great interest. Cheers.
You are welcome! I do not jump on this forum much, but it is good to see some of the old faces still here. Not that any of us are old, we just hold on to our Vibes for years.

Did you get a chance to look at the belt and alternator after your trip? Is it still occasionally making noise?

Be careful removing the engine dust cover. They break easily. A mechanic doing a recall snapped the passenger side "firewall" corner of mine when doing recalls early on when the Vibe was almost new. He glued it back together and hoped I would not spot it. I think the best way is to get hands as close to where the posts are that you can and work the corners on one side first, trying not to lift too far, just enough to pop it off and putting a little silicone on before putting back on. Not sure. Been a while and cannot remember. There was a TSB about the proper way on removal at one time.

The site that has the tutorials of the belt tensioner also have many others. Pretty interesting and most would probably be applicable to most Corolla based vehicles:
2009-2013
https://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Art ... Guides.htm
2003-2008
2020-plus Corolla
Edit: this video shows how this mechanic removes the engine dust cover:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3SQp_QRFg0
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Thanks for asking. I'll respond with a new clue. There wasn't so much as a peep from the engine bay on either of the 3.5 hour legs. However yesterday, while backing out of my slight 15% incline driveway, I got a squeak upon startup and after driving forward for a second or two. Furthermore, for the second time, I noticed a slight hesitation of power as the car first moved forward at the same moment the "whatever-it-is" in the engine bay squeaked. At the end of the squeak, it felt like a mild lunge forward just before the engine powered on normally. Does that hesitation and the fact that I am only getting this squeaking when my car is parked overnight on a 15% incline (engine higher than the rear) have any meaning to anyone? Lastly, the noise is not regular and does not happen every morning, nor most mornings, so it is not a regular/predictable noise occurrence.
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

Could be like Jolt is talking about concerning the alternator or a drag on the air compressor/and or clutch, or the water pump. the belt could actually be a little tight too. Check for weeping at the water pump. Try keeping the air conditioner off a few times and see if that makes a difference at first startup and taking off. Check alignment and condition of pulleys. If belt is taken off, spin and listen to things for noises or being tough turning. Good luck.
jolt

Post by jolt »

As 10vibe pointed out, check all the bearings for smoothness. It could be the start of a bearing going bad, where the bearing does not turn freely, and causes load on the belt at start up. It does sound like the pulley though. Chrysler mini vans had problems with the pulley and did the noise at startup when the load is high on the alternator. You can search and fine info about the pulley noise on the Chrysler's.