From 08 to 09 (Converting to Gen2)

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
cigvibe

From 08 to 09 (Converting to Gen2)

Post by cigvibe »

I have been a fan of Gen1, but I have never actually driven a Gen2 or known anyone who has one. I did sell a 2010 matrix at my dealer years and years ago but it took almost 6 months to sell as it was not popular. While I love my Gen1, I really wish I had the 5 speed auto. After my wife picked up a mazda3 hatch with a 5 speed auto, it was more clear how much more fun it is to drive.

It would be interesting to try a 2nd gen, but most people are asking $5k plus for either the vibe or matrix. Also, I keep hearing the horror stories about the 2.4L oiling issue. Still, I have looked in auctions and bid on a few. I figured that I can always buy one and if I don't like it, just sell it.

Most of them are going for 2k at auction with various issues. I found a "mystery" 09 with 165k miles and what looked like a decently clean exterior in my favorite DARK BLUE color. A 2.4L with 5 speed auto. I was going to bid $1500, but felt like I would lose it again. So I went up to $2000. It sold for $1850. However, fees brought it up to $2200 plus $300 for towing.

So for $2500 delivered, I now have an 09 Gen2. My intial impressions are only after a day of driving.

GOOD:
The car had a new battery, new (toyota) starter, and fresh toyota coolant.
Decent paint just some dings scratches and pitting on front
Recently registered until 2023
Engine is dirty but under the oil cap the cams are nice and clean.
cold ac

BAD:
Front tires are bald and cracked
One wheel stud is missing
Stereo is missing

THOUGHTS:
The car feels a little bit chunky on the inside. It does remind me of a camry, more wide. The dash seems huge.
I miss the flares, the car looks naked on the outside. The body reminds me of a Prius V.
No more foglights, boo.
Still has the annoying DRL.
The door feels heavier, also the top of the door where I liked to rest my arm is much higher, not comfy.
No roof rack, even though I would never use it, I just liked to see it LOL
16" steelies look small on this body
I thought I would miss the hatch glass opening, but I haven't yet
I like that the 115v outlet is now 3 prong and big enough for an extension cord or bigger device
I do love the auto 5 speed, more smooth. (although resting my hand on the shifter lets me accidentally push it over to manual mode)
Power seems about the same. Torquey yes, but my gen1 feels more zippy. I'll have to do a fair comparison after a fresh tune up.
I can't compare audio since it has no head unit.
Hate the shifter. When in D is pointing rearward and looks awkward. It would be nice if there was an alternative.

I am going to sell my Gen1 for $2500, so it is basically a trade. I was over the interior on my old one, it was beyond the ability to have it ever be clean. This new Gen2 has a nice clean interior and acceptable paint. In the end it would be nice to find a Gen1 GT, so maybe I'll just rock the Gen2 "wagon" until then.
Last edited by cigvibe on Thu May 26, 2022 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cali Vibe 238k Wave Blue

mods
2zz "brown" 320cc injectors - Full time E85 gas - K&N airbox insert - charcoal filter delete - 3" fresh air duct
cigvibe

Re: From 08 to 09 (Converting to Gen2)

Post by cigvibe »

Placeholder for pictures
Cali Vibe 238k Wave Blue

mods
2zz "brown" 320cc injectors - Full time E85 gas - K&N airbox insert - charcoal filter delete - 3" fresh air duct