Rear creaking noises 2005 FWD vibe

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
clinteastwood

Rear creaking noises 2005 FWD vibe

Post by clinteastwood »

I have a 2005 Pontiac Vibe FWD, 208k miles.

It has a creaking noise mainly when getting in or out of car, barely hear anything otherwise while driving.
I had replaced the front struts because they were original after 200k miles and has shaking over bumps, that fixed that issue.

The rears also look like original KYB struts, the strut assembly looks great, dry as a bone, upper mount rubber looks fine, I don't think I really need to replace them.
The trailing arm bushings are a little cracked but don't look too bad.

Should I just try some lithium grease spray? Anyone else have this noise and fix it? Not sure it's worth the time honestly, car is great mechanically otherwise though.
andrewclaus

Re: Rear creaking noises 2005 FWD vibe

Post by andrewclaus »

I've never had to fix a noise like that, but besides the various rubber bushings (sway bar, control arm, rear axle beam) it could be a ball joint. I don't know how well lubes will penetrate a rubber bushing.

If you can reproduce the noise while it's parked, by bouncing or shaking it or turning the wheels, you can get under there with a rubber hose or mechanic's stethoscope and pinpoint it.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I'd second the try to reproduce it.

In fact, if you can, get someone _else_ to get in and out of the car while you walk around it.

It _could_ be as simple as hinge or latch points needing a bit of grease. Even flex in the rear hatch.
clinteastwood

Post by clinteastwood »

Thanks guys. Just found out my passenger side CV axle is failing so that's getting done first now.