Anyone experienced issues transmission ?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
VibeMatrixCanada19

Anyone experienced issues transmission ?

Post by VibeMatrixCanada19 »

Hello everyone

I bought 2009 Pontiac Vibe Base 1.8L Auto only 206 km 2nd owner she had for 5 years was 94,000 km till 205,400Km she ended up stuck in snow with bald tires. So she can’t afford fix due not enough hours at work skip the dishes so I bought her off before moved calgary with her Parents so the car cannot drive highway due cannot drive speed over 110 km itself only can drive speed up to 64 km cannot go over 65 km not feel anything skipping transmission.

I wasn’t sure if it’s automatic transmission transfer or which parts anyone usually swap it than rebuild transmission?

I can’t think how to explains clear hopeful anyone understood what I mean.

I live Near Edmonton Alberta Canada

Thanks

Robbie
Caretaker

Re: Anyone experienced issues transmission ?

Post by Caretaker »

I've been saying since I bought the car that the crappy Toyota 4 speed transmission is a poor fit for the engine. I have never experienced another car like this Vibe in that I never know what I'm going to get when I turn the key: will the powertrain perform like a racecar like it does on some days, or struggle to find a gear like it does on most days? It is essential that you replace the transmission fluid about every 60,000 miles. Letting this World Standard fluid stay in to the "suggested" 100,000 mile mark is a mistake. Also, make sure you are using WS World Standard and not the Toyota Type IV that is written incorrectly in our owner's manual.
VibeMatrixCanada19

Ahh damn so disappointed I do luv vibe /matrix

I’ll make An appointment for transmission to see flush clean up

My friend said that her fault for got stuck and too much forward and backward gave up got towed out of area back December 2018.

Stranger the engine runs like purrr.

Trying solves issues before this summer moving to drive Ottawa Ontario Canada.
Last edited by VibeMatrixCanada19 on Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

When it hits top speed of 65 km/h, what are the engine RPMs?
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

VibeMatrixCanada19 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:53 am Ahh damn so disappointed I do luv vibe /matrix

I’ll make An appointment for transmission to see flush clean up

My friend said that her fault for got stuck and too much forward and backward gave up got towed out of area back December 2019.

Stranger the engine runs like purrr.

Trying solves issues before this summer moving to drive Ottawa Ontario Canada.
Do NOT flush. Ne pas affleurement de la transmission! Vous rencontrez déjà des gros problèmes. A "flush" will force metal back into the transmission.
Drain and fill, shift through the gears slowly over 10-15 minutes, then drain and clean the filter mesh. Then refill again.

I have had good luck with just drain and fill.
VibeMatrixCanada19

Caretaker wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:47 am I've been saying since I bought the car that the crappy Toyota 4 speed transmission is a poor fit for the engine. I have never experienced another car like this Vibe in that I never know what I'm going to get when I turn the key: will the powertrain perform like a racecar like it does on some days, or struggle to find a gear like it does on most days? It is essential that you replace the transmission fluid about every 60,000 miles. Letting this World Standard fluid stay in to the "suggested" 100,000 mile mark is a mistake. Also, make sure you are using WS World Standard and not the Toyota Type IV that is written incorrectly in our owner's manual.
Hey sorry catching up
Email been super busy summer now fall time 😕 oh well .

Well my friend she owned since 2011 was about like under 12,*** km she is 2nd owner since 2011 previously senior retirement they moved to Alberta from Ontario..
She had zero issues always changed fluid 50,000 km I don’t know what miles is. So till December 2018 she got stuck on road where not clear and she silly drove winter time tires aren’t great job for snow/ice anyway she used to work the skip
Dishes till got stuck I told her next time never do that again that’s her fault for issues hurt to transmission. So she drove it when someone helped her out of stuck. From December 2018 till February 2019 she had to moved to Calgary Alberta from Edmonton. She wanted me to sells for her nobody want to buy her off
Engine pretty purring quietly just issues with auto transmission you can’t drive more than 60 km ( 25 or 30 mph ) auto transmission to “ D “ Drive will feeling like slipping transmission change To gear 3 no
Problems.

Thanks for sharing tips about transmission fluid already bought it like you said don’t get Toyota Fluid Transmission.

Already found local rebuild transmission shop gave me quote for rebuild than searching wrecker auto recycle for Vibe or matrix in Canada. They gave me good price discount $750 off Canada dollars , just pay $2k that’s it should be completely done 3 to 7 weeks they respects me for no rush errors. Will check them 3 times a week to see how’s it going.

I already spends new cv axle for front left and right due age they said I’m smarter get new parts so they can keep busy swap it.
VibeMatrixCanada19

joatmon wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:28 pm When it hits top speed of 65 km/h, what are the engine RPMs?
On D between 2,200 to 3,400 if I remember