Fuel Injector - replacement or o-rings?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Bookworm

Fuel Injector - replacement or o-rings?

Post by Bookworm »

The last engine I really did fuel system work upon was a carbureted system.

How does one pull the fuel injectors out? I suspect it's pretty simple, but I'd rather hear it from someone who has done it.

Also, is it better to replace the o-rings before trying to replace the injectors themselves?

BW
joatmon

Re: Fuel Injector - replacement or o-rings?

Post by joatmon »

Bookworm wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:21 pm
How does one pull the fuel injectors out? I suspect it's pretty simple, but I'd rather hear it from someone who has done it.
I have never done it on any car, so you'd rather not hear it from me ;) but I attached the section from the 03 matrix manual on replacing fuel injectors on a 1zz

Looks like the only difficult part is finding something to take the place of special service tool 09268–21010 called out in step 6. Once for a similar connection on a different car, I was able to make something out of the (unused) tip from a caulk tube but I have no idea if that would work here.

Also "Do not bent, fold and rotate the nylon tube." (don't know why I get a kick out of typos)
Attachments
x040001.pdf
03 1ZZ Fuel Injector R&R Procedure
(108.95 KiB) Downloaded 4823 times
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

It's a pretty straightforward task. You can probably get away with just unbolting all of the hold downs for the fuel rail there and then lift it out of the way to replace the injectors...It's been a while, but I am pretty sure that's what we did when we swapped the blown motor.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Thanks. I'm going to update the P0171 thread, but I'm getting really frustrated.