Rear window hatch release

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
mntn-biker

Rear window hatch release

Post by mntn-biker »

I have an '03 base Vibe. No power locks or windows. I recently purchased a replacement hatch assembly and found that I have the hatch release actuator when I pulled the interior panel. Does anyone know if I purchase and install the hatch release button, it will power the hatch release actuator? Hoping that the wiring harness is the same between the base and power package Vibes. Anyone know this for a fact before I waste my $ on a hatch release button?
Attachments
hatch release actuator.jpg
hatch release actuator.jpg (81.11 KiB) Viewed 1833 times
2003 base model
joatmon

Re: Rear window hatch release

Post by joatmon »

mntn-biker wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:43 am Anyone know this for a fact before I waste my $ on a hatch release button?
I do not know that for a fact.

My first 03 Vibe didn't have power windows/locks, and it did not have the wiring in the door for the door lock and window controls.

The hatch release wiring might be there, but I don't have that vibe anymore to go look.

According to the 03 Matrix manual section on power door/locks (attached), the connector for the hatch release switch has two wires, one is a blue with a white stripe, the other is white with a black stripe. Look around in that area to see if there is such a connector.

Looking at this pictures from https://www.ebay.com/itm/284683893374
hatchswitch.jpg
hatchswitch.jpg (16.8 KiB) Viewed 1815 times
it looks like the connector has five pins, but according to the wiring diagram only two of them should be used

if you have the connector in the dash, and the new hatch is all hooked up, you could try grounding the blue with white stripe wire to see if the hatch pops, if that works then you'd have decent confidence in buying a switch
Attachments
033dlc.pdf
03 door lock control wiring diagram
(84.22 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Are you sure the wiring loom wasn't there for the power accessories? (door locks, power windows) From what I can find, all of the Vibe/Matrix vehicles appear to have used the same wiring loom across all the models. (I haven't pulled the rear interior panel to see if the subwoofer wiring is there)

I do know that my base 07 Matrix had the wiring connectors for both the power mirror controls and the power mirrors themselves, and there was even one more control harness in that same bundle. (heated mirrors? Signals on mirrors? No idea).

In any case, the glass hatch likely has a relay (I don't know, I'd have to check the madstyle1972 repair guide). There's definitely a fuse.

Let's see. There's a four pin connector running to the Back Window Lock Assembly. There's a five wire connector for the Glass Hatch Opener Switch Assembly. (appears to be the dash switch).

There are three relay/junction blocks - one above the glovebox, one next to the ODB2 port, and one in the engine compartment.

Another question is - do you have the door control receiver? I don't know if that's necessary for the hatch switch, however. That may only be needed if you wanted to use the hatch button on a transmitter fob.

There really isn't much of anything in the manual. Even in the "Back Door Components" section.
mntn-biker

Post by mntn-biker »

joatmon wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:41 am
mntn-biker wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:43 am Anyone know this for a fact before I waste my $ on a hatch release button?
I do not know that for a fact.

My first 03 Vibe didn't have power windows/locks, and it did not have the wiring in the door for the door lock and window controls.

The hatch release wiring might be there, but I don't have that vibe anymore to go look.

According to the 03 Matrix manual section on power door/locks (attached), the connector for the hatch release switch has two wires, one is a blue with a white stripe, the other is white with a black stripe. Look around in that area to see if there is such a connector.

Looking at this pictures from https://www.ebay.com/itm/284683893374

hatchswitch.jpg
it looks like the connector has five pins, but according to the wiring diagram only two of them should be used

if you have the connector in the dash, and the new hatch is all hooked up, you could try grounding the blue with white stripe wire to see if the hatch pops, if that works then you'd have decent confidence in buying a switch
I will pull the dash switch panel and see if the connector is there. If so, once I get the hatch replaced with the "new" one, I will try to activate the latch release from the dash connector. I did use a trickle charger and activated the latch release actuator to open the glass so I know that works. If there are no wires in the factory wire loom, I may run my own wiring back to the hatch and while I'm at it, maybe add another switch next to the hatch release switch and a couple more wires to lock/unlock the hatch release as well.
2003 base model
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

If the key triggers the electric hatch lock release, then you at least know _that_ wiring exists.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I know that vibes without power locks do not have the wiring stuff for the locks...A member on here (now on FB only) had to run all of the wiring for lock actuators for an aftermarket lock system.

I'd presume it's the same for Vibes without the power hatch
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

a bit off topic, but when replacing the whole hatch, is it better/easier to disconnect the wire harness inside the car body or inside the hatch?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

joatmon wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:04 am a bit off topic, but when replacing the whole hatch, is it better/easier to disconnect the wire harness inside the car body or inside the hatch?
probably in the hatch. I don't know where the connector is in the vehicle.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

zbyers wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:12 am
That's what I was thinking. The trim on the hatch is easier to remove than inside the car body. A relative's 03 Matrix needs a new hatch, so I' might be attempting a junkyard swap.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

joatmon wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:36 am
zbyers wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:12 am
That's what I was thinking. The trim on the hatch is easier to remove than inside the car body. A relative's 03 Matrix needs a new hatch, so I' might be attempting a junkyard swap.
Did the swap. The replacement hatch came with the wire harness, so I used the wires that came with the new hatch. I pulled the top half of the drivers side rear pillar trim and dropped the headliner a little, wasn't that hard. It connects just under the drivers side fixed quarter window. On reassembly, was a little tricky getting the pillar trim to engage with the bottom half, seems designed to have the top half go on before the bottom half. It was also pretty easy to swap the locks between the two hatches.

Later, did a test, and it would have been easier to disconnect the wire harness inside the hatch and pull it out, as long as you attach strings to the connectors on the new hatch so you can pull the car's harness back in. Need 2 strings, one for the big wire bundle, a second for the CHMSL(brake) wire. Inside the hatch, the main wire bundle has only one anchor point, which is relatively easy to access, and the CHMSL wire has no anchor.

Also learned 2 things.

- You can replace the metal part of the hatch without replacing the hatch glass. The glass's hinges attach to the car, the nuts on the hinges' bolts are under the headliner while the hatch attaches to the glass's hinges. The bolts that attach the metal hatch to the hinges for the glass are easily accessible.

- About 2/3 of the weight of the hatch assembly is the glass/wiper motor. Just the metal part is surprisingly light