Starter Issue?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
blue_can

Starter Issue?

Post by blue_can »

I'm curious what the average life of a starter is on these vehicles. I have a 2007 vibe with just over 100K miles. So far it has been reliable with no issues. The other day it refused to start while I was at a mall Tried multiple times and could only hear clicking. The mall is within walking distance of home so I went to get my other car to retrieve my shopping. Tried when I got back and it started right away. After I got it home I tested the battery including a load test - looks good. No sign of electrical connection issues, loose battery terminals etc.

I could not tell if the clicking was from the starter relay or solenoid. It has started fine since then. I'm guessing it will occur more frequently with time as the issue gets worse. I'm debating taking the starter out and rebuilding (I usually rebuild my starters) or waiting until it gets worse.

Has anyone on here had their starters on the vibe go out as early as100K? Seems a bit early but then again the vehicle is 15 years at this point.
'07 Vibe
lexicon

Re: Starter Issue?

Post by lexicon »

I may be an exception rather than the rule, but, I got about 200k MILES out of my starter, I proactively changed the brushes in it at 180k miles and then at about 210k miles, it finally crapped out on my ,..... the solenoid had an issue... I got an Autozone rebuilt and it seems to be working fine ... Ive got 233K Miles on my Vibe and .....at this rate, I may keep it another year....I was hoping to get a new Rav4, but...the whole covid and chip shortage has changed my plans.
By the way... I changed the brushes in my alternator proactively...and its still going strong.... I may be on borrowed time, but.... lets see how long that lasts..... impressive huh?
2005 VibeAutomaticStockNon AWD125 hp model
blue_can

Post by blue_can »

lexicon wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:28 pm I may be an exception rather than the rule, but, I got about 200k MILES out of my starter, I proactively changed the brushes in it at 180k miles and then at about 210k miles, it finally crapped out on my ,..... the solenoid had an issue... I got an Autozone rebuilt and it seems to be working fine ... Ive got 233K Miles on my Vibe and .....at this rate, I may keep it another year....I was hoping to get a new Rav4, but...the whole covid and chip shortage has changed my plans.
By the way... I changed the brushes in my alternator proactively...and its still going strong.... I may be on borrowed time, but.... lets see how long that lasts..... impressive huh?
200K is pretty good. Not a bad idea of proactively changing the brushes. Based on issues I've seen in my other vehicles brushes, the starter drive binding and the solenoid contacts failing are all potential issues that give similar symptoms. So if it comes out I will be replacing all of these items. Not worth the hassle of repeatedly trying to troubleshoot an intermittent issue especially as it can leave you stuck.
'07 Vibe
Phoneman

Post by Phoneman »

My 2005 made it about 180k miles before the starter went out but I have no idea if it had been replaced before I bought the car used.

When it went, it went fairly quickly. Stopped for lunch and it wouldn't start. Tapped on it and it started right up. That only worked a couple of times and I had to replace it.

The 2003 is still working well with what looks like its original starter at 115k miles.
2005 Vibe - 240k
2003 Vibe GT - 117k (totaled)
2003 Vibe GT - 117k
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

My 2004 Vibe GT is sitting at 160k miles or so and NO starter issues yet. When they do start to happen I will at least have the option of "push starting" the car which I've done MANY times over the past 45 years of driving my stick-shift cars :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
blue_can

Post by blue_can »

Looks like my starter might be an outlier if other's starters are lasting much longer. Right now I'm suspecting the brushes. Unfortunately I did not investigate the non-start while it was happening as I was more concerned with getting my groceries home. However it sounded like only the starter relay was clicking and not the solenoid.

So if that is the case then the only reasons I can think if are

1, Wiring and connector - unlikely to have an issues but I will check
2. Starter solenoid plunger sticking - again possible but unlikely.
3. Brushes not making contact so the pull-in winding in the solenoid will not energize - only the hold in winding. The would stop the plunger from getting pulled in. Also it started a while later without any intervention. The only thing that could have possibly happened is brush movement due to thermal effects (engine cooling) and making better contacts. Also the armature contacts to the brushes may be dirty.

I guess I will start carrying a small hammer or mallet and also plan on ordering some brushes. Downside of rebuilding your own starter is possibly finding other issues after taking it apart and then having to order parts and waiting for them to arrive.
'07 Vibe
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

On my 03, I replaced the starter twice in 300,000 miles. On my 07, I changed the starter once in 212,000 miles. However, the clip that holds the wire to the starter solenoid can and _will_ break, due to heat (brittle). I started to have problems with my 07, including a beat the starter to start it, and when I went to replace the starter a second time, I found the plug loose. After pushing it firmly into place, no problems since (several months)
blue_can

Post by blue_can »

Bookworm wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:17 pm On my 03, I replaced the starter twice in 300,000 miles. On my 07, I changed the starter once in 212,000 miles. However, the clip that holds the wire to the starter solenoid can and _will_ break, due to heat (brittle). I started to have problems with my 07, including a beat the starter to start it, and when I went to replace the starter a second time, I found the plug loose. After pushing it firmly into place, no problems since (several months)
That's interesting. I checked and all the wiring and connections/plug to the solenoid look in great shape and nothing is loose. So I'm guessing that's not it.
'07 Vibe
blue_can

Post by blue_can »

So the non-start happened again just as I was about to drive to Las Vegas for an event. A hammer brought it back to life and thankfully no other non-starts for the rest of the trip. I did carry a hammer with me.

Took it apart and sure enough it was the brushes. There were unevenly worn - two were much worse than the other two and one was worn almost all the way down to the holder. Not sure if it can be seen but it is the one of the far right.

I have some new brushes on order. I also took the starter fully apart and cleaned tested everything but other than the brushes everything else looks good.
Attachments
20220327_140805_1.jpg
20220327_140805_1.jpg (72.96 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
'07 Vibe
gemory15

Post by gemory15 »

Recently replaced my starter at 205k miles as it would not start at first. Did a bit of maneuvering and easily started so I took it to autozone for a diagnostic. Came back with no codes. Tried to start to leave and wouldn’t. Someone asked the problem and after saying I could get lights and no click. Tapped the starter and started right up. Broke the clip when replacing it but started right up after. The next morning tried to start it up to leave and would not. Unplugged it and plugged it back up after taking off ground terminal and started up no effort.Came back a week or so later and changed the clip and thought the issue was done. 2 weeks later would not start. Took the alternator to get tested and came back good. Battery is good and starter was replaced and just got confirmation of a good alternator. Got a jump start and started fine for the next few days. Yesterday would not start but was getting lights. Went under the hood and after jiggling wire connector to starter and negative would not get lights. Came back later and got lights again and after a re attempting no luck. I believe it is the starter connector wire. As I can get lights and my terminals seem good. Any help?
NewViber

Post by NewViber »

Hello Vibe Friends!

My starter went on my 2008 Vibe last week at 287,247. I checked my records and, sure enough, it was replaced at 261,575! I can see it going the first time around but what happened the second time? Why did it go again so soon? Any thoughts?

Thanks so much! I really appreciate y'all.

Lisa
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

Did you get a remanufactured starter? Did you check for warranty?

Do you know how it failed? Solenoid? Motor?

I just replaced mine a couple of months ago and bought the best one available at the parts store. I didn't want to trust the reliability of the inexpensive reman units. We make a lot of starts and stops in remote desert areas.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

NewViber wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:07 pm Hello Vibe Friends!

My starter went on my 2008 Vibe last week at 287,247. I checked my records and, sure enough, it was replaced at 261,575!
At just over 25,000 miles that seems a bit premature! If it were in one if my Vibes, that could be roughly five years but in your case I'm guessing maybe one year? What specific timeframe did this mileage consume? Paperwork & warranty info if any?
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
NewViber

Post by NewViber »

Thank you for the responses. Great questions. I am going to ask my mechanic if it was the solenoid or the motor and if it was a new starter. At $247 plus labour, I'm hoping it was a new one.

As for the timeframe, the first time it went was in 2022, hence the shock and concern. Incredibly premature!
NewViber

Post by NewViber »

Just spoke to mechanic. He said starters usually only last two years. It was a new starter. He said everything was gone on it.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

If your mechanic buys starters that only last two years, it may be time for a different mechanic.

I always buy used cars that have at least 150K miles, keep them for ten years and run them well past 200K, and starter failures are very rare for me. The Vibe is the first one this century, at 215K miles. Reading other threads on Vibes, that's sounds a little better than average.
NewViber

Post by NewViber »

Thank you, Andrew. I believe you are right!