Fun with titles.

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Bookworm

Fun with titles.

Post by Bookworm »

Car, that is.

I received a call this morning from the dealer saying that my registration sticker and license plates were in. So I drove down and picked them up.

On the way home, I found that there was a rather egregious mistake made. On (almost) all of the paperwork I had from the dealer, my name and address were correct. Where the dealer put in the State registration receipt... .not so much.

A 0 in the street address became an 8, and the first letter of the street went from 'M' to "N". either one would have been workable, but not both at once.

After half an hour on hold with the county tax assessors office, I managed to get ahold of someone who pulled it up, said that yes, it was that way in their system - and that I need to get on the State DMV site ASAP (like, before the end of the day) and put in a 'change of registration address'. Apparently she could tell that they had yet to release the title to be mailed. So, now I get to hope that the 'change' gets in the system before they mail it to a road that doesn't exist, to a street number that doesn't exist.

Once I get it, I'll have to pay $33 to get a new title with the correct address on it - because I didn't catch it when was reviewing the paperwork from the dealer. The dealer didn't catch it either.

On the up side, I have legitimate plates and a sticker to put on the car, so no reason for people to pull me over once I start using it as my main vehicle.

Anyone else had interesting times getting their title, plates, and so forth?
cigvibe

Re: Fun with titles.

Post by cigvibe »

This is fun!

In recent years I became a California DMV registration person without wanting to be. Nobody else was up for the job and I am a computer guy so it can't be that hard right?

So I do a few (without training) and all is well.

About my 5th or 6th one I am typing in the registered address, but I am not sure if it is correct. In reaching for my phone to call the customer, someone else calls. I answer and my leaning of arm hit the FINAL button. Name and address are botched. Luckily there is a window to make corrections so I was able to save it.

It was a clear lesson to pay 100% attention to what you are doing when dealing with sensitive matters.
Cali Vibe 238k Wave Blue

mods
2zz "brown" 320cc injectors - Full time E85 gas - K&N airbox insert - charcoal filter delete - 3" fresh air duct
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

So, maybe it's because it's nearly 3am here, but I definitely didn't read that title as "Fun with titles". Read it as something completely different.

( . ) ( . )
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

I bought my Vibe from a private party. When I took the title to the DMV to get plates, the clerk said the title was a duplicate and the original hadn't been turned in, or something like that and I couldn't get plates. I contacted the seller, and to my surprise she took complete control and took care of the problem immediately, even to the point of driving the new title 50 miles to my house that day, when the US mail would have been fine. She said she originally signed it on the wrong line or something, and thought she had it all worked out. Honest mistake, honorably fixed with apologies.

But twice I've had problems with house deeds. County tax and title company clerks have messed up the house address, causing missed payment of taxes, and undelivered threats of auctions. Both times it's happened after closing, behind the scenes where I couldn't check it. I've learned to pay attention at tax time and double check my county tax records. I've bought more houses than cars, so it figures that where I'd have problems.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

SlammedNiss wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:40 am Read it as something completely different.

( . ) ( . )
Good one !!! :lol: Usually I have the twisted brain, but never gave this title a thought. Love the humor thrown around at this site ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"