Name your favorite oil filter

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
cigvibe

Name your favorite oil filter

Post by cigvibe »

As an experiment in my Nissan frontier, I used cheap conventional oil and a mobil 1 filter.
I then used Mobil 1 oil and a cheap filter.
The Mobil 1 filter lasted longer before getting dirty vs the cheap filter.
I tried a purolator oil filter on the last change and the oil was dirty just as fast as the cheap one, go figure.

One car I had was a mitubishi mirage. Factory oil was synthetic you change at 7500 miles. The oil filter was smaller than ours. The oil remained clean until about 6800 miles then it went seriously dark after that. So, it seems, when then oil filter capacity is reached, it is going to just bypass and you are running dirty from that point on.

Now that I am back in the Toyota crowd, I want to see what you guys like. I see that these oil filters are so small as well. My old way of thinking was to use a cheap filter and change it more often. Some of my mechanic friends like to use NAPA / WIX overall for different applications.

Fan Favorites :

Genuine Toyota 90915-YZZF1 Oil Filter - $8 each amazon (or 5 for ~$30)
Last edited by cigvibe on Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cali Vibe 238k Wave Blue

mods
2zz "brown" 320cc injectors - Full time E85 gas - K&N airbox insert - charcoal filter delete - 3" fresh air duct
tpollauf

Re: Name your favorite oil filter

Post by tpollauf »

Not really a favorite, just convenient, affordable and it's Toyota! Have purchased TWO 10-packs of the 90915YZZF1 extra capacity oil filters for all of our Vibes in the past 12 years. As of last year they were going for $38.90 from Sparks Toyota :)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

In 35 years of changing oil on cars, I've had exactly one oil filter unscrew itself on me.

Wix.

People swear by them, but if I hadn't been paying attention, the car would have lost all the oil and destroyed the engine.

So, I won't buy Wix again, no matter how much people claim it's the best brand out there.

If "touch the metal, then 3/4 turn" isn't enough to seat that filter, I don't want it. I don't need torque specifications for an oil filter :)

I'm planning on buying a half case of Toyota filters for future changes; I think I'll go for the larger filter that tpollauf suggested. 33 bucks for 5 from Amazon, and that's reasonable enough with free Prime shipping
Mark

Post by Mark »

I ONLY use NAPA Platinum oil filters, which are made by WIX.

I used NAPA Gold filters (also WIX) for years, and switched to Platinum when I switched to full synthetic oil many years ago. I have never had one leak or work loose ever. I oil the seal and tighten hand tight, and never need a tool or wrench to take one off. I thought the filter on Frosty was leaking a few years ago but it turned out to be a cracked sending unit.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

I grew up using Fram as that's what my dad always used. I now use Mobile-1 synthetic oil/filters for a few years now.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I never named any of mine, they weren't really around long enough to develop a relationship with, and they never said anything when I tried to talk to them.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

At first I was using Purolator Classic, then switched to Purolator Pure 1. So Purolator pretty much for the the life of the vibe. I wouldnt say its a favorite but priced decent, and that why I buy it.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
CraftsmanQuad19

Post by CraftsmanQuad19 »

The best filters are (in no particular order) wix, k&n, and Mobil 1. Case closed. Lol

Normally I run something like a federated (free through our shop, just grab it off the shelf), stp gold, or something along those lines just due to price. If it’s something I know is making more metal than normal or takes synthetic I’ll run a wix or Mobil

The WORST filters are the microguard from oreiley (ask the guy at the counter, they’ll tell ya), and the fram orange can
“I don’t do nothing well.” -Keith
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

The O'Reilly and the Fram are made by the same people. The 'tearapart' comparison I posted previously from a Toyota dealer parts department showed that they are absolutely identical inside.

Interestingly enough, I just stuck a Fram on the 07 Vibe, I'm switching to a Matrix shortly anyway, and whoever buys the car will either do another oil change immediately, or it'll get parted out.