Need some Help diagnosing issues.

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Kdowning19

Need some Help diagnosing issues.

Post by Kdowning19 »

I could really use some other input in diagnosing issues with my Vibe. I have a 2009 Vibe base 2WD with the 2.4L and the 5 speed automatic transmission (the Toyota U250 I’m quite positive).

Last week, the VSC off light started blinking along with my check engine and traction control lights coming on. I then would lose forward driving gears. The codes coming up were P0746 and intermittently P0796. 0746 indicates isssues with the pressure control solenoid A ( or SL1). Well, I replaced this solenoid, and only got to test ride around the block. Seemed alright but I’m sure I never left 3rd gear. Took it out today, the lights returned (haven’t got to get them read for codes yet) and lost forward gears going through a damn tunnel. Have to reverse out the wrong way. I find that if I put it into “manu-Matic” mode and keep it in 3rd, I can move forward.

I am working on getting the rest of the solenoids to replace (found a valve body with them on eBay). The only other sets are either priced ridiculusly high (nearly 700 bucks) or have to shipped from China and wouldn’t be here for a month!

Any input or ideas on if any other sensors or issues could be inciting this problem would be helpful. Perhaps the Vehicle Speed Sensor or Wheel Speed Sensor? (This issue did arise after I had to really Gun in while in 2nd, with tires constantly spinning, to get unstuck after recent ice and snow storm here.).

Sorry for the barrage of info. I am quite frustrated as this is my only running vehicle right now.
jolt

Re: Need some Help diagnosing issues.

Post by jolt »

Hello and welcome to the site. Some other info or details would be helpful. How many miles are on the car? When was the last time the transmission fluid was changed? Has the transmission filter been changed? Was the pan and magnets cleaned? Was there anything in the bottom of the oil pan? All bolts torqued to the proper spec?

Here is link to some info about PO796 code: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0796

The first thing with both codes is the transmission filter and fluid. The transmission has to be spotless clean inside. Any spot of dirt can cause a spool valve, the the solenoids control, to hang in the valve body. If you have particles in the transmission, you have more issues then just the valves.

All the lights coming on is most likely a different problem and not related to the transmission. When you were stuck, were you rocking the car back and forth trying to get it to move? Snow and ice can get into the sensor connections for the wheel speed senors. You need to have a scanner hooked up to verify your speed sensors signals are getting to the ECM. Trouble codes for the wheel sensor will start with a Cxxxx. You will need a scanner that is capable of read C (chassis) codes vs the cheap code reader that only read P (power train) codes.

Side note: The 2009 and 2010 Vibes use WS type transmission fluid. This info is on the dipstick for the transmission. This is different then the fuild used in the first gen Vibes. Also the GM owners manual may have the wrong transmission fluid type printed in it. Use WS fluid or fuild that meets the WS standard.