Steelies over Alloys.

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Bookworm

Steelies over Alloys.

Post by Bookworm »

I'm looking at a choice - I can use steel wheels (already on the "new" car), or swap my alloy wheels over.

Other than the ability for alloy to take shocks without bending (to a point) and steel to be straightened out, is there any real benefit one way or another?

If I keep the steel wheels, I'll rough them up with some steel wool, then probably paint them metallic purple - just because.
joatmon

Re: Steelies over Alloys.

Post by joatmon »

I'm lazy, and cheap, so I'd go with whichever set has the best tires/tire condition
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

For some metallurgical reason (I'm not a metallurgist or anything close to that) Steelies will hold air better and longer than alloys. I can attest to that theory with my own vehicles over the years. I hardly EVER had to add air to a steel rim as compared to alloys. Not a deal breaker but something to consider. Also, in my case, the extreme temperature swings could play a part in that theory, whereas where you're at may not matter much.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

The steels have a better condition set right now, but they show signs of alignment wear, which can be problematic.

Thanks - I've been running alloy/aftermarket for so long that I couldn't remember any real difference.
jolt

Post by jolt »

Ride, comfort, price of tire replacement, and durability - steel; performance - alloy.

This general statement comes from the fact the side wall height of the tire effects comfort and performance. The steel rims generally use tires that have more side wall then tires found on alloy rims. Also alloys are prone to air leakage and corrosion. Also balancing can be higher maintenance on an alloy because of the stick-on weights can come off or be knocked off do to snow, ice, mud, etc.

Alloys can be bent, my wife proved that. If it was steel, I could have repaired it but not an alloy. It was ~$120.00 for a refurbished 17" rim for the '09 Vibe.
Mark

Post by Mark »

For me it would be a no-brainer to keep both and put winter tires on the steel wheels and all-season on the alloys. But, I don't live in Houston so there's that. I like the look of the alloys better, and you don't have wheel covers to deal with and try to replace if you lose one.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Alloy wheels and steel are the same size tire in this case.

Need to leave wheels on the old car, so I can get rid of it. hard to haul off a car on drums and rotor :)

Two beauty covers are good, two are smashed. I'll probably chuck them and paint the rims.