Rear struts on a 2007 Matrix

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
Bookworm

Rear struts on a 2007 Matrix

Post by Bookworm »

Is it possible to do the spring compression and strut swap without taking the mount out of the car?
jolt

Re: Rear struts on a 2007 Matrix

Post by jolt »

When you factor in the safety aspect of dealing with the energy of a compressed spring when doing this work, it is not worth the risk. Pulling the whole assembly is much safer. Remember, anything is possible if you put enough money into it, along with taking greater risks, so I would not say that it can not be done. It is just not worth the risk to me.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

Agreed. The one time I used portable spring compressors it scared the heck out of me, on a bench. I wouldn't want to do that in the wheel well of a car.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

So, in other words, buy the shocks, bellows, and mount replacements, yank the old ones out of the car, take them to a shop, and say "here, assemble these for me". Understood.

I'm not really thrilled about the idea of using a spring compressor at _all_.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

Buy the complete shock/spring unit, remove old one, install new one.

It's not always that simple though--on my Vibe, the old mount had a ruptured rubber mount that interfered with a bolt and was a pain to move, and the new unit was a few mm longer and it took an extra hand and crowbar to lever the axle down to get it to fit. I live in an arid climate and bolts were easy to break loose at least.

I bought mine on eBay for $70 for the pair and took less than two hours to install, including calling the neighbor over "for a beer."
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Well, on my 03 vibe, I replaced the front shocks with Monroe QuickStruts. That, plus the sway bar links, took roughly an hour per side (not including jack/stand time). I reused my original nuts (lots of stories of the top stud nuts not holding up)

With this Matrix, I know I need to replace them - the boots are shredded, and it has 155k on the vehicle. complete struts are hard to get now unless I want to go with dubious name products.
jolt

Post by jolt »

Hi Bookworm, Rockauto list the Monroe Quick-Strut for the rear, along with Gabriel, and AC Delco full assemblies. It should not be that hard to get a brand name assembly. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toy ... mbly,15174