Roof Rack/cross bars for 2006 Vibe?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
RubyVibes

Roof Rack/cross bars for 2006 Vibe?

Post by RubyVibes »

Hi all!

I'm looking into getting a roof rack, or at least some crossbars for my 2006 Vibe. It's the two wheel drive one. I'm wondering what you all have found success with? Not finding any hits specifically for a Vibe and these things aren't cheap. Any tips or advice would be super appreciated.

Thank you and happy vibin'!

Ruby
Mark

Re: Roof Rack/cross bars for 2006 Vibe?

Post by Mark »

I have two sets of them up in the rafters of my garage I think. I know there's at least one up there. I could probably be talked into selling one set.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Are you talking about the front to back rails, or the side to side bars?

If you have the rails, then you can get crossbars pretty cheaply, aftermarket. I picked up a set from Harbor Freight that whistled, but did the job for the few uses I've had in the last couple of years.

If you need the _rails_, I'm not sure how to go about adding those to a bare Vibe/Matrix - I'd like to know as well :)
DadVibe

Post by DadVibe »

These!!! Cheap, strong, wide enough to hold a 9' longboard, beach cruiser and big xmas tree. Delivered in 72 hrs. They have locks and super easy to install Image
Attachments
Amazon Racks.jpg
Amazon Racks.jpg (585.73 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
Rack.jpg
Rack.jpg (786.85 KiB) Viewed 1044 times
Rack.jpg
Rack.jpg (786.85 KiB) Viewed 1044 times
Last edited by DadVibe on Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Those look to be identical with the Harbor Freight ones. Worked fine for ladder carrying.

Caveat. You will spend quite a bit of time adjusting them so that they're not lopsided. If you're ready for adjusting both ends of each bar, then they'll be fine. You'll want a step stool so you aren't stretching to see both sides as you adjust.

They _may_ whistle as you drive. I have no idea why, other than possibly the end caps don't really have a good smooth transition into the metal.
JackWade

Post by JackWade »

DadVibe wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:16 pm These!!! Cheap, strong, wide enough to hold a 9' longboard, beach cruiser and big xmas tree. Delivered in 72 hrs. They have locks and super easy to install Image
I have those Amazon basic cross rails as well. Cheap and easy to install.
2006 1.8 1ZZ-FE Moonstone gray with all options such as Moon & tunes package
JackWade

Post by JackWade »

Just used them today to pick up my first kayak! Strange that Amazon no longer says the rails are compatible with the Vibe. Works for me.
2006 1.8 1ZZ-FE Moonstone gray with all options such as Moon & tunes package
Vibraphone

Post by Vibraphone »

There's a guy on eBay who seems to specialize in OE roof rail/bars, for a variety of vehicles. Seems an interesting specialty niche. I snared a new-looking, notta scratch on em, set f/my '06 Vibe f/about $90 inclu shipping & tax. His store: https://www.ebay.com/usr/blind_squirrel_auto_parts There's a lotta junkyard junk out there for about the same$$$.