I/M Readiness 09 base

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
FatherTime

I/M Readiness 09 base

Post by FatherTime »

Is there a way to check the I/M Readiness w/o a scanner? I see in a lot of vehicles you would turn the ignition key to "on" from cold without starting the engine, and view the behavior of the MIL. My readiness monitor self test for EVAP seems to be taking a long time to finish. If I turn the key to "on", the MIL comes on and stays on. Doesn't flash, or go off. There are no codes, and there is no check engine light when the car is running.
2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8 FWD Manual Trans
joatmon

Re: I/M Readiness 09 base

Post by joatmon »

Sounds like it's behaving normally

Page 4-20 of the 2009 Vibe Owner's Manual says this about the Check Engine Light (Malfunction Indicator Light)
This light comes on when the ignition
is on, but the engine is not running,
as a check to show it is working. If it
does not, have the vehicle serviced
by your dealer/retailer.

If the check engine light comes on
and stays on, when the engine
is running, this indicates that there
is an OBD II problem and service
is required.
I guess one way to think of it is that with the ignition on and the engine running, the light is saying check the engine because it seems to not be running. It will stay on forever if you leave it in On with the engine not running

I know on some cars I've owned there was a way to perform a ritual of switches and things, or jumpering a connector somewhere to to get a light to flash out a code, but Vibes don't do that. You need to use an ODBII scanner. Most chain auto parts stores will use one to check for codes for free.

But on yours, the light goes out when you start the engine, so I'd assume there are no codes to be read.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

joatmon wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:15 am Sounds like it's behaving normally...

I know on some cars I've owned there was a way to perform a ritual of switches and things, or jumpering a connector somewhere to to get a light to flash out a code, but Vibes don't do that. You need to use an ODBII scanner. Most chain auto parts stores will use one to check for codes for free.

But on yours, the light goes out when you start the engine, so I'd assume there are no codes to be read.
The OP is asking about "Ready" mode. If the OBD-II system has been reset, the car has to go through a specific "drive cycle" before the system is "Ready." It won't pass an emissions test if it's not, even if the MIL is not lit. So you can't reset the system while you're in the testing lane. A drive cycle is also needed to clear a code for an intermittent problem, but the code would be stored until a reset.

I've never seen the ability to check readiness on an OBD-II car without a scanner, but I've only worked on a few as an amateur. I could do that on my old OBD-I cars. And I have a Gen I Vibe, so I can't help with the '09.

This is one of the reasons I bought my own scanner, for repairs done before the test, or because of the test. The drive cycle is a complicated thing to recreate, and may take several days to achieve on trips around town. A cheap $20 scanner works fine for this.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

andrewclaus wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:40 am
The OP is asking about "Ready" mode.

I misunderstood. I'm in one of the 8 out of 22 counties in MD where emissions testing isn't required, so I'm not tuned in to that.
FatherTime

Post by FatherTime »

Here's how to complete the drive cycle for the EVAP monitor...easy peasy, but I've done that numerous times (although I keep my fuel tank between 3/4 and full all the time). Could be an issue.

EVAP Monitor - 6. Cruise at 45 to 65 MPH for 10 minutes (avoid sharp turns and hills) Note: To initiate the monitor your gas tank level must be between 15 and 85%.

I need an inspection. Doing some research I found this:

How Many Monitors Have to be Ready? (for inspection purposes)...

The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) guidelines allow up to two monitors to be in a "not ready" state for model year 1996 through 2000 vehicles and one monitor "not ready" for 2001 or newer model year vehicles.

Maybe I can sneak through?
2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8 FWD Manual Trans