Salvage Title

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Glenpointe

Salvage Title

Post by Glenpointe »

Bought a 2009 Vibe GT from a small dealership with green title. The salesman told me that he bought a batch of vehicles from a fleet before they go to auction. He also told me this Vibe has engine knocks (sound like spun rod bearing) that needs to be addressed. I inspected the car and everything else looked normal. Bought the car and replaced the engine and the car runs perfect ever since. Months later, I ran a carfax and it says the car has salvage title but gives no reason. There is no evidence that the car ever involved in an accident or under water. The title is green but carfax says salvage (In my state salvage title has orange color). Can this happen? Title is green, but carfax says salvage.
SeattleJeremy

Re: Salvage Title

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Sounds like your title has been washed. https://www.carfax.com/press/what-is-title-washing

If you suspect water was actually involved in the incident then it's worth your time to look under the carpet and inspect for mold. Even if the carpet is new.

You replaced the engine, but did you flush the transmission or bleed the brakes?
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Glenpointe

Post by Glenpointe »

SeattleJeremy wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:14 pm Sounds like your title has been washed. https://www.carfax.com/press/what-is-title-washing

If you suspect water was actually involved in the incident then it's worth your time to look under the carpet and inspect for mold. Even if the carpet is new.

You replaced the engine, but did you flush the transmission or bleed the brakes?
Have been working on cars for many years and really have a keen eye on hidden problems. I'm 100% sure the car did not involve in any accident and under water. I think the bank inherited the car with a blown engine, salvaged it and auctioned it out for parts. I'll have difficult time selling the car, but it runs like a champ. Just took a 800 mile trip, and I averaged 30MPG.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Good to hear :)
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
cigvibe

Post by cigvibe »

I can run a California history report for you. This is not a carfax or anything, it is just what California says the title history is. It might show something that you could not find. If you want me to do that, just msg me with the VIN. I have car dealer access to the reports.
Cali Vibe 238k Wave Blue

mods
2zz "brown" 320cc injectors - Full time E85 gas - K&N airbox insert - charcoal filter delete - 3" fresh air duct