Cold Temp Starts 2: Electric Boogaloo

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
JustVibing

Cold Temp Starts 2: Electric Boogaloo

Post by JustVibing »

Earlier this morning when i went to start my 07' Vibe with 208k mi, it was about 5°F. I went to start it and it cranked at a low speed and took much longer to start than in the summer. No, i do not have a block heater and yes, i park it outside. Is this normal, or is there something wrong?
2007 1.8L Base Wave Blue Vibe
Caretaker

Re: Cold Temp Starts 2: Electric Boogaloo

Post by Caretaker »

it's too soon to tell. It is only one time and the car did start after all. Looks like you'll have some variable temperatures over the next 5 mornings to keep testing it and get a better feel for the problem. If the battery is 3 years or older, it is always a possibility that a new battery is required. Also, most people ignore the two pop off tabs atop the battery. If yours has them, have you added distilled water at least once a year to keep the cells at capacity?:

Tue 04
35°
/16°

Wed 05
21°
/5°

Thu 06
14°
/-3°

Fri 07
14°
/10°

Sat 08
36°
/26°
JustVibing

Post by JustVibing »

Vibe is daily driven, and we have a '92 Lincoln Mark VII with a glass mat in it. Will swap it over when i get the chance to see if the battery is the problem.
2007 1.8L Base Wave Blue Vibe
jolt

Post by jolt »

What weight motor oil do you have in it and is the oil synthetic or regular? Thick, regular oil will cause the slow cranking and longer startup in cold weather. 5-20W synthetic would be the best. Full synthetic oil is more stable in cold temps and does not thicken like regular motor oil does. Things get really stiff when you get -10º to -20ºF.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

JustVibing wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:23 pm Vibe is daily driven, and we have a '92 Lincoln Mark VII with a glass mat in it. Will swap it over when i get the chance to see if the battery is the problem.
The Lincoln Mark VII's BCI 65 is likely too physically large to strap in place where the Vibe's 26R sits.
Also, note that the R stands for reverse, so the polls will be in the "wrong" place compared to traditional batteries.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT