Spark plug question

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
jeff_j1701

Spark plug question

Post by jeff_j1701 »

Hi all.

I have an '07 Vibe with over 315,000km (about 195,000 miles) and I need new spark plugs.

For such an old (and well used) car, would Iridium or Platnium spark plugs be better?

The originals were Iridium but changed them with Platnium before.

Thanks.
'07 Vibe, over 300 000km
Caretaker

Re: Spark plug question

Post by Caretaker »

If you don't think you are going to keep your car for another 100,000 miles, iridium plugs become overkill. Here's a snippet from carparts.com. The full read is linked below. I got my iridium plugs on ebay for a great price. I don't think they will break anyone's bank.

[Platinum may be harder than copper, but iridium is the hardest among the three, and iridium spark plugs outlast platinum spark plugs by almost twice the mileage. The only issue with iridium is that it costs double the price of platinum with little improvements in performance.]

https://www.carparts.com/blog/iridium-v ... ark-plugs/
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Iridium every time.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

As a late follow up.

On my 03, back in about 2006, I replaced the spark plugs. I used platinum. Mileage and performance dropped.

I then pulled those out, and put in the NGK Iridium. Everything improved again.

So, I think the 1ZZFE engines are very picky, and I'll stick with the NGK Iridium, even with the expense. It's only every 50k miles or so.