Intro and question

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
DadVibe

Intro and question

Post by DadVibe »

Hey all, my name is Eddie. I just acquired an 08 FWD Vibe. It was free and runs like a Japanese watch. I normally drive a Ford F250 but with $5 gallon gas here in Cali it was breaking the bank just to take my daughter to school. :o I have to say I've fallen in love with the little Vibe. Goes anywhere, holds all our junk and sips gas.
Now on to the question: It does need new wheel bearings and I thought I'd just change out the whole steering assemblies. When I searched I only find assemblies for the Matrix. I know they are the same car but the the sellers say they won't fit my Vibe. Is this true? Are there differences between the Vibe and Matrix for 2008?
Thanks for the advise and forum, Dadvibe
andrewclaus

Re: Intro and question

Post by andrewclaus »

I'm not sure about the whole knuckle, but I used Toyota part numbers for the bearings. I found a local transmission shop with the right press to install them.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

DadVibe wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:59 am Hey all, my name is Eddie. I just acquired an 08 FWD Vibe. It was free and runs like a Japanese watch. I normally drive a Ford F250 but with $5 gallon gas here in Cali it was breaking the bank just to take my daughter to school. :o I have to say I've fallen in love with the little Vibe. Goes anywhere, holds all our junk and sips gas.
Now on to the question: It does need new wheel bearings and I thought I'd just change out the whole steering assemblies. When I searched I only find assemblies for the Matrix. I know they are the same car but the the sellers say they won't fit my Vibe. Is this true? Are there differences between the Vibe and Matrix for 2008?
Thanks for the advise and forum, Dadvibe
Same drivetrain matrix of the same year is the same part in this case. IE: 08 Matrix FWD steering knuckle would be identical. AWD ones are different.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
DadVibe

Post by DadVibe »

Thank you for the info. Parts on the way. :)
jolt

Post by jolt »

zbyers wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:06 am Same drivetrain matrix of the same year is the same part in this case. IE: 08 Matrix FWD steering knuckle would be identical. AWD ones are different.
What is strange is that RockAuto Parts shows different part numbers for the same brand part for the front hub assemblies for the '08 Matrix and the '08 Vibe. There may be something different about the Vibe and Matrix. Check the strut mounting bolt hole size as I remember that some Toyota's (Corolla) use smaller strut mounting bolts then the Vibe. It could also be something like a hole in the hub for a cable mount that is different. The difference has to be a minor one.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

jolt wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:17 pm
zbyers wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:06 am Same drivetrain matrix of the same year is the same part in this case. IE: 08 Matrix FWD steering knuckle would be identical. AWD ones are different.
What is strange is that RockAuto Parts shows different part numbers for the same brand part for the front hub assemblies for the '08 Matrix and the '08 Vibe. There may be something different about the Vibe and Matrix. Check the strut mounting bolt hole size as I remember that some Toyota's (Corolla) use smaller strut mounting bolts then the Vibe. It could also be something like a hole in the hub for a cable mount that is different. The difference has to be a minor one.
yeah, i am not sure why rockauto does that, but they are identical. we have replaced several this way.

Rockauto also only lists the hub assembly for an AWD under a matrix, but not under a vibe. we have ordered said assembly for a matrix several times and they worked perfect.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
DadVibe

Post by DadVibe »

Well thanks for the info. So it seems that the only difference is the Matrix steering knuckle has the hole for the ABS sensor. My 08 didn't have ABS. I just put a cap in the hole and a screw where the hold down screw would be.
Attachments
IMG_0545.JPG
IMG_0545.JPG (115.06 KiB) Viewed 1026 times
IMG_0544.JPG
IMG_0544.JPG (85.48 KiB) Viewed 1026 times
IMG_0543.JPG
IMG_0543.JPG (96.32 KiB) Viewed 1026 times
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Nice research and glad it worked out. Can barely see other parts on the car BUT it seems to be a very clean Vibe! Post pics of the entire Vibe when you get a chance & brief story as to how you got this FREE! Glad you found us here, now visit often! ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"