2007 Vibe first stalling, then rough idle, now won't start

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
jjohnson44

2007 Vibe first stalling, then rough idle, now won't start

Post by jjohnson44 »

I've got a 2007 Pontiac Vibe, about 130k miles. I didn't use it for 5 months, and then starting using it again last month. It worked totally fine, as it always has since I got it 4 years/20k miles ago. A couple weeks ago, it stalled(?) when I was stopped at a stoplight. No power steering, no acceleration, etc. Coasted to a side street, a couple of tries and then it started again. After that, a few times I would start the car, then get a really rough idle when reversing out of a parking spot, then the car would stall. A couple of tries, then start up again. Recently, the car just won't start at all, despite trying several times.

Recently, if I leave the car for like 24 hours, and try to start it again, it will turn over, but very weakly. Then revs immediately drop to 0. This happens 1-2 times, then right back to no turnover.

I replaced the air filter, and all the spark plugs. I cleaned the MAF sensor with cleaning spray, and also tried to start the car with the sensor unplugged. I uncovered the positive terminal on my battery to find corrosion. I cleaned all that off with baking soda dissolved in water and a toothbrush. I replaced the positive terminal and cleaned corrosion of the plates at the end of the positive wires.

I took the battery to autozone and it tested as good, but only charged to 73%. I had them charge it and it tested as totally good, with ~600 cranking amps. It was from 2014 it seems, so I am going to get a new battery.

Am I correct in assuming the alternator is ok, based on the fact that corrosion on positive terminal means overcharging? Also I have a FM transmitter that reads voltage (not sure if I should even consider this) but the last times I was able to get my car to start it read ~14V whereas now it reads ~11.5V, leading me to think it is charging fine.

If getting a new battery doesn't do the trick, is there anything else I can try? The car can't move so I can't take it to autozone to test the starter. Or should I just give up and take it into the shop?
joatmon

Re: 2007 Vibe first stalling, then rough idle, now won't start

Post by joatmon »

If the battery has removeable caps, you might be able to get more life out of it by adding some distilled water, if the water level is low inside. But at 7 years old, its probably time for a new one. If you do replace the battery let us know if that fixes or changes anything.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Your battery corrosion is normal. Everyone's battery fuzzes up now and then and needs cleaning. If you have not popped the tops off of your battery and maintained proper distilled water fluid levels over the years, at 7 years of age, your battery needs to go. That's a good long time for any car battery. Once installed, then you can see if any problems persist. If you've never had the alternator replaced in your car, it could be next on the list; but start simple; replacing a 7 year old battery is a reasonable precaution.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

Try some fuel system cleaner. If your gas got contaminated, that'll help.

No check engine light?
jjohnson44

Post by jjohnson44 »

Thanks for the replies. The new battery is installed. the first time I attempted starting, it cranked, and turned over stronger than previously, but again it dropped to zero revs nearly immediately and died. Subsequent attempts there was no turn over, just cranking.

No check engine light at all. I did actually buy some high mileage fuel system cleaner, but it says to put it in on a nearly empty tank, and mine is essentially full.

Any ideas on what to try next?
Mark

Post by Mark »

Can you elaborate on the difference between "cranking" and "turning over"? Because to me they're one and the same.

The initial behavior sounds mostly like a fuel problem, like bad/dirty gas or maybe a clogged fuel filter.

And a really dumb, like "is it plugged in?" type of question: Is there oil in it?
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
jjohnson44

Post by jjohnson44 »

Yeah you're right I'm not great with the terminology. I guess it turns over (and cranks) but either starts very weakly or doesn't start at all. So essentially what's happening here, just to be very clear https://youtu.be/XyYH49QGtoU?t=5

I have been thinking it was a fuel issue after replacing all the things I mentioned. As far as I understand the fuel filter is a bit of a pain to replace though?

I actually haven't checked the dipstick, although when it was actually driving I didn't get the oil light. I'll check that just in case though
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

jjohnson44 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:08 am...I did actually buy some high mileage fuel system cleaner, but it says to put it in on a nearly empty tank, and mine is essentially full.

Any ideas on what to try next?
Get another bottle or can of fuel treatment?

The problem may be fouled injectors. Changing a fuel filter won't fix that. Try the cleaner. But if you can't get the engine running at all, don't bother. You may need professional help.
jjohnson44

Post by jjohnson44 »

Oil level is all good. Strongly considering taking this to a shop, at least for diagnosis
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

How is the air filter?

It sounds like it very well could be a weak fuel pump if all else is checking out.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Transylvania

Post by Transylvania »

Is there an update on this? I am experiencing similar with my 2010 2.4L with 250,000 miles. Died this morning when taking a turn, than started right up. Has some hesitation during acceleration.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

It could be vacuum, as well. Do a quick eyeball on the hoses. I found that the PCV hose on my new Matrix was so loose I could pull it off with my hand without any effort - both ends. (It didn't fix my problem. Just saying).

The hoses seem to expand when they get brittle.