Chains or?

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
VivianVibe

Chains or?

Post by VivianVibe »

Hello, We have a 2005 Vibe. We don't get a ton of snow but once in a while we do. May have to be on call for work and Murphy's law it will be at 2AM with a blizzard going on. Not sure if it's an AWD or a 2WD. I've read chains would be needed on all 4 tires or else it can mess with the tire sensors? Does this rule apply to both AWD and 2WD? Would studded tires be better? Thanks
zbyers

Re: Chains or?

Post by zbyers »

Where is your location. Generally speaking, snow tires are a better fit for most locations that see quite a bit of snow.

I live near Erie, PA and we get copious amounts of snow annually. I have never been failed by quality snow tires.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

It's got to get pretty extreme to chain up both axles. And what a pain. If you have AWD and decent snow tires, chains won't be needed. I was a first responder in a mountain community in Colorado and my old Subaru wagon got everywhere without them. If it's FWD, keep chains handy and know how to use them.

Only worry about sensors if a chain breaks or comes loose. You might get a tire pressure warning light if you drive a long time with chains, but that's easy to reset.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

To find out if you have a FWD or AWD Vibe look under the rear bumper. Since you are not dealing with snow/ice daily do not get studded tires. Studs make tires perform worse on dry and wet days, and also make a lot of noise. Studs are for ice conditions, think Ice road truckers or inland Alaska in the winter.

FWD or AWD, you want Studless Ice and Snow tires (AKA Winter tires). I recommend Michelin X-Ice Snow, Bridgestone Blizzak WS90, or Continental VikingContact 7.
Next spring, when the weather warms up, put the all seasons back on. Winter tires do not like weather above 60f.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
VivianVibe

Post by VivianVibe »

I greatly appreciate everyone's input. This site is very helpful and I thank you.