05 vibe Transmission in D 2 L or or R and vehicle does not move

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
ERAY

05 vibe Transmission in D 2 L or or R and vehicle does not move

Post by ERAY »

I pulled out of the driveway this morning, stepped on the accelerator, heard a "pop?" sound, then the vehicle was coasting. Stepping on the accelerator and the engine would rev, but the vehicle just coasted. I pulled into a driveway, put it in Park and park held, put it in reverse and it would not move either. The gear shifter moves through all gears, but the transmission does not engage. Help
joatmon

Re: 05 vibe Transmission in D 2 L or or R and vehicle does not move

Post by joatmon »

First, check fluid level

When in a forward gear and you rev the engine, does the speedometer move even if the car doesn't? If so, you may have blown a CV joint.
ERAY

Post by ERAY »

On a surface with the rear of the vehicle slightly lower than level, the fluid level with vehicle off is at the top of the hot mark. After running the engine for a few minutes and going through all the transmission positions, it reads between cool and hot. The speedometer does not move when the vehicle is placed in a forward gear.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

check your CV axles. but if it's not that, it's quite possibly internal on the tranny....or the shifter cables.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe