SOLVED: 2003 Pontiac Vibe ABS + Brake Lights Speedometer After 20 Meters Warning Lights Turns Off & Working Speedometer

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Reaccion

SOLVED: 2003 Pontiac Vibe ABS + Brake Lights Speedometer After 20 Meters Warning Lights Turns Off & Working Speedometer

Post by Reaccion »

Hi guys! I have a big problem with my 2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD Automatic transmission with ABS. When I first startup the vehicle, the ABS and Brake warning lights stay on and the speedometer does not work. The Vibe would not shift into second gear. After the vehicle moves for about 20 meters, the warning lights (ABS + Brake) turn off and when they turn off, the speedometer start working again and the Vibe starts shifting gears normally. The lights do not turn back on until I turn off the car. When I turn it back on, the same warning lights and no speed / no shifting gear pattern again.

I retrieved the ABS codes and I got 31, 32, 41. I changes both front Left & Right ABS sensors. I reset the lights but I still get the same waring lights, no speedo problem and no gear shifting. Please HELPPPPP!!!

SOLVED:

I bought a QD Electric Cleaner at Walmart for less than $5.00. I unplugged and cleaned the transmission speed sensor. Also, I cleaned the engine bay ABS module plug (the module pins and the plug). I drove the car for like 10 miles with a couple on/off power cycles and ABS and Brake lights no longer stayed on. I have driven the car for 3 days now without problems. Now the speedometer works and no ABS Brake light problems. A SIMPLE CLEANING! Well guys, thank you all for the replies and support. Thanks!
Last edited by Reaccion on Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
andrewclaus

Re: HELP: 2003 Pontiac Vibe ABS + Brake Lights Speedometer After 20 Meters Warning Lights Turns Off & Working Speedomete

Post by andrewclaus »

Apparently Code 41 is low voltage. Have you tried diagnosing that?
Reaccion

Re: HELP: 2003 Pontiac Vibe ABS + Brake Lights Speedometer After 20 Meters Warning Lights Turns Off & Working Speedomete

Post by Reaccion »

andrewclaus wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:17 pm Apparently Code 41 is low voltage. Have you tried diagnosing that?
Thanks for replying. Where would I have to check the voltage? At the sensor?
Reaccion

Post by Reaccion »

This is what I found:

ABS Codes 31 and 32:

DTC Detecting Condition
Detection of any of conditions (1) through (3):
(1) At vehicle speed of 10 km/h (6 mph) or more, pulses are
not input for 15 sec.
(2) Momentary interruption of the vehicle speed sensor signal
occurs at least 7 times in the time between switching the ignition switch ON and switching it OFF.
(3) Abnormal fluctuation of speed sensor signals with the vehicle speed 20 km/h (12 mph) or more.

Trouble Area
Right front, left front speed sensor
Open or short in each speed sensor circuit
Sensor rotor

ABS Code 41:

Low Battery Positive Voltage or Abnormally High Battery Positive Voltage
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

Low voltage could be anything from a battery or charging problem to a loose wire in the system.

I'd track that down first. The other codes could be a result of low voltage.
Reaccion

Post by Reaccion »

andrewclaus wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:00 am Low voltage could be anything from a battery or charging problem to a loose wire in the system.

I'd track that down first. The other codes could be a result of low voltage.
The battery voltage is fine and the alternator as well.
Reaccion

Post by Reaccion »

I had the Vibe tested with an ABS scan tool instead of the jumper wire / flashing light procedure.
Even thought the ABS and the BRAKE lights were on, the ABS scan tool did not find any ABS fault errors.
Surprisingly, even though the ABS scan tool did not find any errors, the scan tool could erase the ABS and BRAKE lights which will come right back on after turning the ignition off and back on.

Any ideas guys??
Last edited by Reaccion on Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

The voltage Code 41 voltage problem could be a loose/broken wire or pin at the ABS computer or anywhere in the ABS system. That will take probing around with a wiring diagram and voltmeter to check.
Reaccion

Post by Reaccion »

andrewclaus wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:36 pm The voltage Code 41 voltage problem could be a loose/broken wire or pin at the ABS computer or anywhere in the ABS system. That will take probing around with a wiring diagram and voltmeter to check.
Thanks for replying. I will check the wiring, especially by the front right ABS sensor. I will post back
Reaccion

Post by Reaccion »

I measure the voltage at the plug that connects to the sensor and it is 7.5Volts. I think that the voltage should be 12V. Could you let me know what to do next? Thanks
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

The sensor might normally have lower voltage, 5 V or so, depending on the type of sensor.

Check the supply voltage at the ABS actuator, to verify the computer is getting battery voltage.

I'll try adding a file of the wiring diagram that shows where to check voltage on page 3.
Attachments
039abs.pdf
(54.55 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Reaccion

Post by Reaccion »

Thank you for all your replies. I noticed that I did not explain myself correctly, I meant to say that the voltage at the wire harness that comes from the ECU to the sensor is 7.5V. I unplugged the ABS sensor from the harness. And with the Ignition key in the ON position, I measured the harness voltage not the sensor.
Reaccion

Post by Reaccion »

I measured the voltage at the ABS module and it is 12 Volts. Any other suggestions?
Reaccion

Post by Reaccion »

Also, I forgot to mention that when the ABS and Brake lights are one, besides the speedometer not working, the transmission won't shift gears until moving for about 20 meters and the ABS Brake lights are off.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

Is the check engine light also on? Have also you checked for diagnostic codes using the OBD-II port? It sounds like the vehicle speed sensor isn't working, but that would definitely give a code.

Also, did you check ground continuity from the ABS module?
Reaccion

Post by Reaccion »

andrewclaus wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:15 am Is the check engine light also on? Have also you checked for diagnostic codes using the OBD-II port? It sounds like the vehicle speed sensor isn't working, but that would definitely give a code.

Also, did you check ground continuity from the ABS module?
I remember that I got the P0500 code a couple years ago. But it went away on its on. Now, there is no check engine light.

The ground continuity at the ABS module is fine as well.

I also that there are not pins pushed out in the Module plug.
Reaccion

Post by Reaccion »

I am looking into the speed sensor. But I can not find the exact location for the 2003 Vibe AWD automatic transmission.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

Reaccion wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:30 am I am looking into the speed sensor. But I can not find the exact location for the 2003 Vibe AWD automatic transmission.
It's the rearmost of two sensors on top of the transmission housing. The other one on top is the back-up lamp switch.
Reaccion

Post by Reaccion »

Hey, I am attaching a picture of the transmission so that you could see the red circle to confirm the VSS location.
Attachments
20211016_163225.jpg
20211016_163225.jpg (572.82 KiB) Viewed 2539 times
Reaccion

Post by Reaccion »

I was searching online and it looks like the AWD Speed Sensor looks like the ABS sensor at the wheel hubs. Very different from the FWD one. Please check the picture and confirm.
Attachments
20211016_223747.jpg
20211016_223747.jpg (567.6 KiB) Viewed 2532 times
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

I think that's the neutral safety switch. The VSS will be toward the rear, right above the shaft output.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

I use this website to find the Toyota part numbers: http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/us/200 ... _005_/body. You'll have to input the year and Matrix characteristics equivalent to your Vibe. It's a little hard to navigate at first but it's a powerful tool.
Reaccion

Post by Reaccion »

Hey, please check this picture where it shows the location of the VSS. Please confirm.
Attachments
20211018_171024.jpg
20211018_171024.jpg (211.04 KiB) Viewed 2518 times
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

I missed in your OP that you have AWD. Make sure that diagram is for AWD. As you noted above, they're different parts. There may be different wiring as well.

On my base model 2007, that diagram is roughly correct. It's more behind the engine, near the exhaust manifold.
Reaccion

Post by Reaccion »

Yes, my 2003 is AWD. I found the VSS exactly where the V2 is pointing to.

Would it make sense that the VSS is bad even thought the check engine light is not on? But usually the ABS and Brake lights are on, the speeedometer does not work and the transmission does not shift until the lights turn off.
Attachments
20211018_190538.jpg
20211018_190538.jpg (538.87 KiB) Viewed 2516 times
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

No, it doesn't make sense that the check engine light is not on. Have you verified the light works? It should come on with the key switch in ignition mode.

It also doesn't make sense that the speedometer isn't working with the ABS problems indicated.

You mentioned a previous VSS code so it's suspect. Replacement labor should be minimal. You can decide if the part cost is worth the gamble. Have you looked for a bench test procedure for the sensor?
Reaccion

Post by Reaccion »

andrewclaus wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:57 am No, it doesn't make sense that the check engine light is not on. Have you verified the light works? It should come on with the key switch in ignition mode.

It also doesn't make sense that the speedometer isn't working with the ABS problems indicated.

You mentioned a previous VSS code so it's suspect. Replacement labor should be minimal. You can decide if the part cost is worth the gamble. Have you looked for a bench test procedure for the sensor?
Yes, I understand that lights should light up when the vehicle is started to show that they are working but they will immediately turn off. In my car, the ABS and Brake lights stay on when I first start the vehicle and then both turn off (first Brake light then ABS) after I drive for about 20 to 50 meters. The speedometer does not work and the transmission does not shift into the second gear while the ABS and Brake lights are on.

I have not done the bench test for the Speedo sensor yet. I was having trouble finding it. But I will remove it, check the connections, clean it and report back.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Looks like the speedometer gets its signal from the ECM I know on non-ABS Vibes, the ECM gets its speed signal from the speed sensor on the tranny. Is it possible that on ABS Vibes, the ECM gets its signal from the ABS module via the individual wheel sensors?

I don't think the typical OBDII code reader can read ABS codes. Might need to take it somewhere that has an appropriate scan tool and see what error is being set when first starting, before you drive the short distance that clears it
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

joatmon wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:54 pm Looks like the speedometer gets its signal from the ECM I know on non-ABS Vibes, the ECM gets its speed signal from the speed sensor on the tranny. Is it possible that on ABS Vibes, the ECM gets its signal from the ABS module via the individual wheel sensors?

I don't think the typical OBDII code reader can read ABS codes. Might need to take it somewhere that has an appropriate scan tool and see what error is being set when first starting, before you drive the short distance that clears it
pretty sure you are correct about ABS sensors giving speed input.

AutoZone's new in-store scan tool can read ABS on most vehicles.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Reaccion

Post by Reaccion »

joatmon wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:54 pm Looks like the speedometer gets its signal from the ECM I know on non-ABS Vibes, the ECM gets its speed signal from the speed sensor on the tranny. Is it possible that on ABS Vibes, the ECM gets its signal from the ABS module via the individual wheel sensors?

Thanks for replying.

You may be right because the ABS Vibes also has a speed sensor very similar to a ABS sensor (they call it magnetic speed sensor) in the transmission.

I bought an OBDII / ABS / SRS/ code reader, but as well as the AutoZone code reader, does not detect any codes. The reader says "No ABS codes". Both code readers have been used at the time when both ABS+Brake lights are on, but it still show "No ABS codes" in any of the ABS code readers.
Last edited by Reaccion on Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reaccion

Post by Reaccion »

zbyers wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:29 am

pretty sure you are correct about ABS sensors giving speed input.

AutoZone's new in-store scan tool can read ABS on most vehicles.
Thank you for replying.

Like I said, I bought an OBDII / ABS / SRS/ code reader, but as well as the AutoZone code reader, does not detect any codes. The reader says "No ABS codes". Both code readers have been used at the time when both ABS+Brake lights are on, but it still show "No ABS codes" in any of the ABS code readers.
Reaccion

Post by Reaccion »

:o SOLVED:

I bought a QD Electric Cleaner at Walmart for less than $5.00. I unplugged and cleaned the transmission speed sensor. Also, I cleaned the engine bay ABS module plug (the module pins and the plug). I drove the car for like 10 miles with a couple on/off power cycles and ABS and Brake lights no longer stayed on. I have driven the car for 3 days now without problems. Now the speedometer works and no ABS Brake light problems. A SIMPLE CLEANING! Well guys, thank you all for the replies and support. Thanks!
Attachments
20211109_222057.jpg
20211109_222057.jpg (413.69 KiB) Viewed 2346 times
2010d9eb-ed3d-4139-b707-ee049cd9b6a9.45198afb48fb4654ba99ea5fc5ae2ab3.jpeg.jpg
2010d9eb-ed3d-4139-b707-ee049cd9b6a9.45198afb48fb4654ba99ea5fc5ae2ab3.jpeg.jpg (47.13 KiB) Viewed 2347 times
joatmon

Re: SOLVED: 2003 Pontiac Vibe ABS + Brake Lights Speedometer After 20 Meters Warning Lights Turns Off & Working Speedome

Post by joatmon »

Wow, that's excellent, and definitely one for the books.

I tend to always suspect a component. Replace the X and see if the problem goes away, but cleaning connectors, I only tend to think of that related to battery terminals

Again, great find, really glad its fixed
Reaccion

Re: SOLVED: 2003 Pontiac Vibe ABS + Brake Lights Speedometer After 20 Meters Warning Lights Turns Off & Working Speedome

Post by Reaccion »

joatmon wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:36 pm Wow, that's excellent, and definitely one for the books.

I tend to always suspect a component. Replace the X and see if the problem goes away, but cleaning connectors, I only tend to think of that related to battery terminals

Again, great find, really glad its fixed
I know. I could not believe it myself.
Thanks for all your replies!