Never change manual transmission fluid??

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
FatherTime

Never change manual transmission fluid??

Post by FatherTime »

According to the manual...it is not required to EVER change the manual transmission fluid, unless towing a trailer (which I don't). Really? There must be some value in putting in fresh stuff. My 09 base is at 117,500. Any thoughts on this?
2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8 FWD Manual Trans
Caretaker

Re: Never change manual transmission fluid??

Post by Caretaker »

fluids always need to be changed. Some of these manufacturers no longer putting in a transmission fluid dip stick is frightening to me. Toyota techs learned their lesson with the World Standard fluid in the auto trannys. The recommended 120,000 mile intervals quickly turned into slipping and bucking units. At first glance, they figured the automatics went bad, but learned that more frequent fluid changes, and even changing the fluid when a problem transpired, solved the issue.
FatherTime

Post by FatherTime »

Your referring to auto transmissions. I suppose no difference for manuals?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

change the fluid. it's a fill plug, and a drain plug. put in new fluid. call it a day. maybe an hour job and you're only out $50 and beer. make sure you undo the fill plug first, just in case it won't come loose.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
FatherTime

Post by FatherTime »

No way I can get under there, and I wouldn't jack my car up on my driveway. It looks like it was bombed out. Valvoline says $75 for the change. Seems high just to pull a plug and add 2 qts of fluid, but that seems to be avg or even below. Not sure I understand why. There's more to changing your oil and filter, but that costs less?? I guess I'll get it done anyway.
Glenpointe

Post by Glenpointe »

I just changed manual trans fluid in my son's 2009 Vibe GT. You need 24mm wrench and 2.5 quarts of 75W-90 oil.

1) Crack loose the fill plug
2) Remove the drain plug and drain the oil
3) fill oil until it overflows from the fill hole.
4) tighten the fill plug

Note: I'd place a clear tube onto the funnel and push the tube into the fill hole and fill from the top. After 2 1/4 quarts, fill slow until you see oil dripping out from the hole then stop. Won't take more than 10 minutes.